Truck

Everything involved with getting to the track and working in the pits

Moderator: John_Heard

Ls7camaro

Truck

#1 Post by Ls7camaro » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:33 pm

I have some questions and hoping to get some answers.

I was given a 1994 C1500 Chevy, it has a 5.7 and a 4L60E, 3.42 posi rearend. I am looking at making this a work/tow truck, its main purpose is to haul a car about 20 miles on an open deck trailer to the track and back, occasionally it will need to go about 175 miles one way to Pittsburgh Raceway.

The truck is stock, and in rough shape, I have replaced all of the brakes, calipers, rotors, bearings, rebuild kit in drums, new lines because the others where rotted away, the truck sat for about 2 years in tall grass. I want the truck to be safe, safety first, and I want it to be reliable.

So here goes, what I need to do first the wants, and please put some input in, I can use any advise.

I need to replace trans lines, can I put the biggest cooler from B&M in the front and an external cooler, summit push tight lines and keep the trans cool. The truck has 245K miles on it, is the trans worth flushing? Will a B&M shift controller be worth the money?

Rear frame, it needs cleaned and prepped, I am going to put a new hitch on it and 7 round connector, it has a brake controller. Going with a Class IV from Summit, then I am going to box the rear rails in and add cross members/support to the rear. IS that a good idea? I want it to be strong, and then, what do I use to coat the frame rails, I was planning on removing the bed, the cab corners need fixed.

Does anyone know where I can get fiberglass inner fenders? Reasonable priced fenders? That will be it for this year.

I appreciate any and all help. Thank you all.
I can't wait for race season, this has got to be the year.

mytmouz

Re: Truck

#2 Post by mytmouz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:01 am

The towing packages had an external cooler, so I don't see why what you have planned for it wouldn't work. I would leave the fluid and controller alone and run it, if it breaks, it will most likely be the sunshell, and you can get a beast upgrade shell cheap. I wouldn't worry too much about adding crossmemebrs/boxing the frame stuff unless it is rusted out in places. I had a 1992 Suburban that I put over 350,000 miles on,never touched the motor, it was a 1500 series 2wd, with the towing package, and it was still running when I junked it due to finally wearing out the brakes, rear, and tires and such with no serivce on it (my bad). I got it with 151,000 on it, had to do the tranny upgrade at 157,000 and never touched it again until I pulled it out when I parted the truck. Of the 200,000 I put on it after I got it, about 75% were pulling my open trailer with some kind of automobile on it, and I had no issue going 2-300 miles one way doing so.
Trucks are for haulin...

Ls7camaro

#3 Post by Ls7camaro » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:03 pm

Thank you MytMouz.

Just still getting through the gunk / grime, and trying to get everything fixed. Example, 1 starter bolt. So fixed that. I can't get good brake pedal when the truck is running, good pedal when truck is off, start it and pedal goes to the floor.

Inside the oil spout looks like there is a lot of sludge, trans fluid looks pretty rough. Engine, still sounds good, gonna change the plugs/wires/cap/rotor. The Trans, I patched the lines, the lines only go to the radiator. I got a new hitch/plug in for trailer, everything just looks really rusty, so I would like to coat/paint it, any recommendations?

As far as the trans goes, where did you get your Beast Sun Shell? Is that from Monster Transmission? I would like to get it cleaned and rebuilt.

Engine, its a big toss up, in time I want to do a 383 or an LS swap.

Big plans, just need to get the brakes smoothed out, go from there.
I can't wait for race season, this has got to be the year.

mytmouz

#4 Post by mytmouz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:57 pm

I get mine from ebay or a local shop...
Trucks are for haulin...