no spark

MSD Digital Ignition Programming & Troubleshooting, Playing with Dots, Slew and other fun toys for traction challanged racers

Moderator: John_Heard

novaz

no spark

#1 Post by novaz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:36 am

Got loaded up last night to t+t today

went to fire the motor again for a final check and BINGO no spark it had been running for about 10 mins no problem so after spending 4hours looking for loOse OR broken wires swapping plug leads and plugs still no fire is there any way of checking out the MSD box before sending it in its the

6-btm boost timing master model I metered out all the switches and hot leads no probs there it turns over fine so in the words of the drag Natzi

"NO T+T FOR YOU "

THANKS GUYS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS

jmarkaudio

Re: no spark

#2 Post by jmarkaudio » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:07 am

Check the resistance across the pickup whether a crank trigger or in the distributor, it should be between 400-1300 ohms.
Mark Whitener

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

wikd69

#3 Post by wikd69 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:02 pm

dunno if this will help, but here's an issue I had with MSD Blaster 2 coils.

I started having problems with the engine dying, just going away at odd times. If I let it sit for a bit, it would fire back up, no problem. I initially could'nt track it down to anything specific, but I finally figured out that the coil was going away (no spark, then it would come back after awhile). I replaced the coil and this seemed to fix the problem for a few weeks but then it started doing the same thing.

I called MSD and spoke with them about it.

My coil was mounted up under the dash, horizontally. It would get blistering hot and I asked MSD if this was normal. I was told that the heat wasn't a big issue, but the horizontal mounting of the coil was.

MSD stated that each coil, while oil filled, had a small air pocket in it. Laying the coil sideways exposed a portion of the coil windings creating a hot spot, eventually leading to failure. Sure enough, I replaced the coil, remounted it vertically (coil wire on top) and the problem went away.

This is probably not your issue but I thought it worth mentioning.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

novaz

#4 Post by novaz » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:40 am

turned out the problem was the 12v supply i took from the starter stud was hanging in mid air because the stud lock nut had dropped off allowing the ignition wire to dangle off but still touch the terminal looking like there was supply when i spun the motor it shook the wire off killing the spark when the motor stopped the wire came back and touched the terminal showing good at least i now know my box and coil are good as i reattached the wire and spark was there .
I appreciate the replies
Thanks guys