Question for John

MSD Digital Ignition Programming & Troubleshooting, Playing with Dots, Slew and other fun toys for traction challanged racers

Moderator: John_Heard

vht

Question for John

#1 Post by vht » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:56 pm

I asked about the dig 7 ignitions on here and I've been doing some reading on some other threads. I've heard you mention pulling timing while on the brake so I cked out the grid. It doesn't pull timing while on the brake and it is easier to set up according to some of the people that have used both. Plus it stores info on a card that I take you can plug in to your laptop and review. The 7535 has boost retard and the grid don't but I would think if they add that later you could down load it and install it in your unit? Price wise they are close and since I have very little experience with either I'd like to get the one that is more user friendly. On the grid, the boost retard is a draw back, but I don't know if I will need that on a mild blower motor, just thought it would be there if I need it. I haven't heard of any gremlins with the grid so far, have you had any experience with one?

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Question for John

#2 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:27 pm

vht wrote:I asked about the dig 7 ignitions on here and I've been doing some reading on some other threads. I've heard you mention pulling timing while on the brake so I cked out the grid. It doesn't pull timing while on the brake and it is easier to set up according to some of the people that have used both. Plus it stores info on a card that I take you can plug in to your laptop and review. The 7535 has boost retard and the grid don't but I would think if they add that later you could down load it and install it in your unit? Price wise they are close and since I have very little experience with either I'd like to get the one that is more user friendly. On the grid, the boost retard is a draw back, but I don't know if I will need that on a mild blower motor, just thought it would be there if I need it. I haven't heard of any gremlins with the grid so far, have you had any experience with one?
You're correct, the grid can be setup to not pull timing on the transbrake when using launch retard, on the 7531 it will pull the timing while on the brake (if you use the launch retard feature). There are work around to avoid doing that however if you need to. It's usually not a big problem, so most don't worry about it on the 7531 boxes.

On the Grid, the 7762 Boost retard module is not part of the system, when they do finally release the Boost retard module it will be a box that plugs into the Grid via the Can buss, and I bet it won't be cheap either. Just a heads up on that deal. I would bet it'll be $400 or more so...

As far as usually friendly goes, if you've never used either one it might be a bit quicker to get up to speed on the Grid, but it has more options and more capability.

Problem wise I haven't heard to much going wrong with them, certainly no major issues yet that I've heard. You do want to use the 7720/7730 combo, I wouldn't tie it to one of the older boxes, most of the problems I've read about seem to be related in trying to drive an older analog ignition with it.

Yes, I have the 7720/7730/7761 package but haven't got to play with it yet. Just wrapping up the wiring on it now.

vht

#3 Post by vht » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks for the info, found a 7530T box on the classifieds but it's about the same price as new from the pro shop. I hear of them shutting down for 24 hrs, and I don't think I want that. I may just order a grid and if I need help I'll be talking to you. How much wiring changes would you have to go through from a 7al2?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Wiring is pretty basic really, It took me forever to figure out that MSD had changed the plugin for the crank trigger haha.. Had me scratching my head for a while until I realized it's now a triangle plug instead of the old rectangle.

vht

#5 Post by vht » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:54 pm

I have a aerospace crank trigger. Only thing I ever bought from them that I didn't have a problem with. Might sell it with the engine and update to a MSD. You do a heck of a job on here, hope everybody appreciates it.

supernova

#6 Post by supernova » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:36 pm

The aerospace crank trigger works great, I have one. No problems and I have a 7531 box.........
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs