Stall relative to torque peak

One of the most critical areas of a automatic race car

Moderator: Marty Chance

555RAT

Stall relative to torque peak

#1 Post by 555RAT » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:53 am

Marty, thanks for taking all these questions. I know we'll all benefit from it in some manner. My question is, what should the converter stall be relative to torque peak. Should it equal peak torque rpm or be above or below a certain number of rpm to get maximum performance out of a certain combo?
Thanks,
Keith
8.90@149 and 3,000lb, no Juice, no boost!

Marty Chance

Re: Stall relative to torque peak

#2 Post by Marty Chance » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:08 am

good question. Peak torque is a good general starting point to put the stall speed but every motor will want something a little different . (for example a 355 cu sbc may need the stall above peak torque while a pontiac 455 may want the stall below peak torque.) The bottom line is tuning a converter is just like tuning a slipper clutch , the more you fine tune adjust it and try different settings the more you will find "free ET" or ET you had the power for but was not seeing on the ET slip. Hope this helps but if i only created more questions feel free to ask or you are welcome to call me . Thanks Marty Chance
PS I HOPE ALL HAD A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS AND WISH YOU A GREAT NEW YEAR ! SEE YOU AT THE TRACK
Neal Chance Racing Converters
Home of the World's Fastest Automatic Doorslammers!
www.racingconverters.com