whats the scoop with big dia. converters in high hp apps?

One of the most critical areas of a automatic race car

Moderator: Marty Chance

572 BBC

whats the scoop with big dia. converters in high hp apps?

#1 Post by 572 BBC » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:19 am

marty,
a local trans builder here in wisconsin(terry s. used to be in with hipster) explained to me about how he has been working on using 11" converters in i believe he said top sportsman cars.not sure but cars prob deep in sevens or sixes,anyhow he was going on saying that they are finding by using a big diameter getting minimal slippage (under 5%)while still giving a high rpm launch(4500 or so). granted he didnt spill all the beans as i understand some must be secretive as thats how u guys feed your families, if this is possible, could u explain some principles of getting best of both worlds or was this guy full of b.s. also perhaps how it would apply for nitrous cars too...thanks for your time russ

Marty Chance

Re: whats the scoop with big dia. converters in high hp apps?

#2 Post by Marty Chance » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:14 am

Russ- as the power gets bigger and bigger it takes a larger diameter converter to hold the power curve of these motors. Remember when 500ci was a montain motor? lol ? Now 830ci nitrous motors are comon and these long stroke monster torque nitrous motors need a larger diameter converter to load the motor fast enough to allow them to accelerate at their fastest rate. With that said , i dont think you will see 540ci nitrous motors running 11" converter . There is also some new technology in converters that actually takes away low rpm effeciency from the converter allowing for a slower rate of effeciency (load) so you can use a larger diameter converter , this is useful in some apps but not all. Remeber rotating mass bolted to the crank (ie converter) costs HP
Hope this helps- Marty
Neal Chance Racing Converters
Home of the World's Fastest Automatic Doorslammers!
www.racingconverters.com

572 BBC

#3 Post by 572 BBC » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:02 am

thank you for the schooling...just wonderin when at what hp level a guy running nitrous should consider going from a 9 inch to a larger converter...i know its like asking what is your favorite car...for me i got about 5 hee hee...well i do sincerly appreciate your time

Marty Chance

#4 Post by Marty Chance » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:34 am

When should a nitrous big block consider going from 9" to 10"?
I start looking toward the 10" when the stroke is bigger than 4.250" but there are a ton of factors that play a role here so that is not an absolute.
Neal Chance Racing Converters
Home of the World's Fastest Automatic Doorslammers!
www.racingconverters.com