weird harmonic balancer

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

rustbucket

weird harmonic balancer

#1 Post by rustbucket » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:38 pm

When I had my 400 balanced my balancer (ed chandler) suggested a lighter balancer. I got one for a 283 cid "I think". Its really small. Anyhow,
when I line up the timing marks the piston has already passed tdc and about 1/8th of an inch on the way down. I brought back up to the top and remarked my balancer and thats the mark Im useing to set the timing.The new mark is about 1 inch th the left of the factory one. Is this normal? I hate not knowing if my timing is right. Im lining my mark with the pointer with my light set to 36 degrees. I cant really tell what the motor likes yet because I havent got the car to run consistant yet. Where we go its a 50/50 shot weather they will prep the track or not.
thanks...

shooked

#2 Post by shooked » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:05 pm

I had the same problem with a 402 once. I think it is normal, which is why they make adjustable timing pointers.
I would be more apathetic if I were not so lethargic

CoMax Racing

Timing Mark

#3 Post by CoMax Racing » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:58 pm

Just use a degree wheel on the engine to find TDC then get yourself an adhesive timing strip to apply to the balancer. Just disregard the old timing mark, then set your timing the normal way.

Hope this helps

sc racing

#4 Post by sc racing » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:51 am

Sometimes old balancers "spin" they are two pieces bonded together by some kind of rubber .Im not positive but I think the keyway slot should line up with the timing groove if it doesnt the outer ring might have moved.You can get a new sfi approved one from Powerbond or Professional Prod pretty cheap.

RCJ

#5 Post by RCJ » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:05 am

Sometime in the late 60's chevy changed the location of the timing marks on the balancers.8 degrees difference's learned this the hard way too.

MOKANRACER

Re: weird harmonic balancer

#6 Post by MOKANRACER » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:17 am

rustbucket wrote:When I had my 400 balanced my balancer (ed chandler) suggested a lighter balancer. I got one for a 283 cid "I think". Its really small. Anyhow,
when I line up the timing marks the piston has already passed tdc and about 1/8th of an inch on the way down. I brought back up to the top and remarked my balancer and thats the mark Im useing to set the timing.The new mark is about 1 inch th the left of the factory one. Is this normal? I hate not knowing if my timing is right. Im lining my mark with the pointer with my light set to 36 degrees. I cant really tell what the motor likes yet because I havent got the car to run consistant yet. Where we go its a 50/50 shot weather they will prep the track or not.
thanks...
Just a quick question. Is your 400 internally balanced? Most are externally balanced,using the 400 balancer as well.Unless your using a speciality crank,mine is internally balanced as that was the type of rotating assy I put to gether. Just wondered. Roger

julven

#7 Post by julven » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:41 pm

If you are using a 6" or 6 1/8 like the 283 & 327 used I don't think you will find a pointer that will work. GM put those pointers on the cover for the small balancers. The pointers that are out there from Tavia, Ati & etc all have 6 degrees built in to them and they don't work because the small balancers like I run and I think you have the mark is strait off the key way.I run the 6 1/8 327 balancer and have fought the same problem. We took two stock GM bolt on pointers and cut the scale off one and riveted it on to the other where it should be using a tdc stop and a degree wheel.hope this info is what you were after.Jason

jones_performance

#8 Post by jones_performance » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:42 pm

also keep in mind, that if your running 10.99 and quicker you have to have a sfi 18.1 approved harmonic balancer according to the nhra rulebook.
Kevin

rustbucket

#9 Post by rustbucket » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:05 pm

the motor is internally balanced. the pointer is a jegs adjustable. I ran it sunday the 10th with the mark that i made on the balancer, and it seemed to do ok. plugs look fine. i ran a 6.96 1/8th on motor. i tried to make a nitrous pass with low bottle pressure and it stumbled down the track at 6.61 @ 95mph. 275 shot with timing retarded to 28 degrees.
the plugs looked good after that pass also.
406sbc, powerglide, nitrous
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DssW5vc_t3k