Oil pump question

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

sverbus

Oil pump question

#1 Post by sverbus » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:31 pm

Hey fellas, getting ready to put my beast back together (early this year) so that I don't miss out on anything this spring.

I had a 60 Melling oil pump in it but had pressure problems last year where it would creep down around 35psi while making a pass. I have a 434sbc Dart little M block.

I'm pricing out a Titan pump that requires a modification to existing oil pans or buy a new pay from another place that I'm sure if quite expensive.

What other pumps are you guys all running? I want something that's going to be able to handle the 7500RPM shifts as well as cruise on the streets.

Just lookin for some good old fashioned advice!

Thanks fellas,

Scott
'70 Nova
434 small block
Best so far of 10.51 @ 131mph with a best so far 60' /1.46

CoMax Racing

Oil Pump

#2 Post by CoMax Racing » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:31 pm

I use a Moroso G-Rotor pump very similar to the Titan but not quite as expensive (very nice pump)Yes you have to modify the pan but any chassis/racing fab shop should be able to do it for you fairly easily. I also included a removable plug in the side of the pan to taylor the oil pressure on the pump without having to remove the whole pan.

Hope this helps

TubbedTruck67

#3 Post by TubbedTruck67 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:47 pm

No problems what so ever out of my M55HV melling, just have the correct pickup for my oil pan.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:30 am

There's been some posts on other boards about a recent change in the mellings castings making them thinner for OEM's. This is just a reminder that you may want to be absolutely sure what your getting from Melling that it's the older style heavy casting vs the new cheap one. IIRC you have to order the race pump now to get the better pump.

I've just been running the old style Melling low volume pump on my BBC and it's worked great. I do have the stiffer spring in it which generates about 80lbs of psi cold. It's worked pretty good so far. I'll probably invest in a better one for my new motor though.

sc racing

#5 Post by sc racing » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:31 pm

I ran one of those pressure balanced pumps in my 421 for about 4 years and on the tear down everything inside was in great shape. I think it was a Canton pump.

aitch o

Re: Oil pump question

#6 Post by aitch o » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:01 pm

sverbus wrote: What other pumps are you guys all running? I want something that's going to be able to handle the 7500RPM shifts as well as cruise on the streets.
i have had very good luck with my old school m55hv. but beware of the new style m55hv. they have thin castings and will break. so i switched to a melling 10555c with pickup. very good pump. 3/4" bolt on pick up. anti cavitation grooves. no spring adjustments necessary to carry 50 psi at idle and 80 psi racing. and john can attest my motor has seen 9100 a few times and not had any oiling related problems.

nice product, decent price.

dadnova

#7 Post by dadnova » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:04 am

Call DART I just had an engine built and was getting 100 psi at idol. Dart blocks are designed to run one oil pump. Jim Patelli who rebuilt the engine from the first A HOLE did his home work. Now I get 60 at idol to 80 on the track.