tunnelram carb mounting

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

mikeT

tunnelram carb mounting

#1 Post by mikeT » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:43 pm

I have a weiand tunnelram w/660 holleys on my new drag car. 383sbc roller motor. Are there any advantages between mounting them inline or sideways? I know it is more costly sideways bacause of the linkage requirements but what about changing to the center hung bowls? any advantage in a hard launching car?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:20 pm

I used to have one of those setups on an Old Camaro more than a few years back. #1 best reason to mount them sideways, jet changes are much easier. I vaguely recall that that was kinda hard to do with them in line. #2 They look better sideways!

I really don't remember much performance difference between the two but that was back in the old street racing days no numbers to compare.

Oh... and switch to the current center hung float bowls, those transfer tubes and o-rings are a pain in the butt.

sunsation540

#3 Post by sunsation540 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:04 pm

if you mount them front to rear you can use std nitrous plates sideways use cross bar or primiter plates NO power diff, holley used to make a 750 with side hung bowls and a 830 center squrter with side hung bowls i have only seen 2, i bought them both. sideways you can run higher float seting and much eaiser maintance.
make a plan and stick to it !!