Carb size??

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

Rat Patrol

Carb size??

#1 Post by Rat Patrol » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:26 pm

I run a 468 in a 72 Nova the car has a 1050 Dom. on it now it has square port heads, solid flat cam, 4.56 gears, 3500 stall shift at 6500 I have been told that the carb is to big for my motor and that a 4150 style would work better for me I have a 950 HP and a 750 claw that I have access too if I need them I was just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this topic, or if anyone else has tried these changes and what the outcome was. thanks

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:47 am

In my opinion this is one of those things you'll just have to test to see what the car likes the best. I would guess it might like the smaller carb in the lower RPM range a bit more but I doubt there is going to be a huge difference. MPH might suffer a little with the smaller one I'm guessing but it might pick up a bit in the 60'. How quick is the car?

Carb size??

#3 Post by Guest » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:26 pm

The car has been 6.74 @ 102mph with 1.47 60ft., car wieghts around 3400 lbs. with driver going to put the spray on it soon maybe 175hp or 200hp and see what it will go on the bottle just wondering if these carb changes would be worth the time or effort? What plugs should I run with the spray?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:20 am

Running that kind of ET I don't think I would put the smaller carb on it. I'd bet it would slow it down, but you never know.

For the 175-200 shot I'd probably try a NGK -8 or maybe a -9 if you need a little colder plug or want to start off a little safer till you make a pass and see what its doing. On my big block I use the NGK 5671A-9 for around a 200 shot.

A -7 would be a bit too hot for that much spray but works about right on motor only.

Post some pic's of your Nova in the You and Your Ride We have a lot of Nova guys here.

Rat Patrol

#5 Post by Rat Patrol » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:25 am

The car is due for a paint job within the next month or so it is just an old primer dog now I will post some after paint thanks for the input this is a cool site good for passing info and tips.

Rat Patrol

#6 Post by Rat Patrol » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:31 pm

Well, I did it now!!!!LOL I went ahead and traded my 1050 and team G intake for a 950 HP and a Victor Jr intake I hope I know what I'm doing :roll: I think it is what my car needs I think I was losing to much off the line with my tight convertor and heavy car and small big block :D I feel I just wasn't turning enough rpm to get the benefit from the big carb I will just have to suffer for a while now that old man winter is here to see if I am right or if I am wrong. Send all hate mail to me :nutkick:

MOKANRACER

1050 Dom/Team-G

#7 Post by MOKANRACER » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:45 pm

Rat Patrol wrote:Well, I did it now!!!!LOL I went ahead and traded my 1050 and team G intake for a 950 HP and a Victor Jr intake I hope I know what I'm doing :roll: I think it is what my car needs I think I was losing to much off the line with my tight convertor and heavy car and small big block :D I feel I just wasn't turning enough rpm to get the benefit from the big carb I will just have to suffer for a while now that old man winter is here to see if I am right or if I am wrong. Send all hate mail to me :nutkick:
I would like to have a 1050 on my 383 SBC . :cry: Ive read articles where that larger carb will even improve top end for these small blocks. :shock:

stracer859

#8 Post by stracer859 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:55 pm

well i did so many changes on my car i dont know if it helped but i gotta custom quick fuel carb with a 1050 proform main body and annular boosters and mine runs pretty good, plugs look good, idles and plugs are still clean. so far so good on my part with the big ole carb. i recommend a quick fuel from now on,, marvin @ quick fuel built me the carb and told me what it would do and it would be a lil fat on my motor, so i knocked it down a couple sizes and hit it pretty close. my hats off to quick fuel,, also im runnin his billet regulators and billet regulator block, 1 for motor, 1 for nitrous, real good stuff, i cant say enough about them.

MOKANRACER

Carbs

#9 Post by MOKANRACER » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:31 am

stracer859 wrote:well i did so many changes on my car i dont know if it helped but i gotta custom quick fuel carb with a 1050 proform main body and annular boosters and mine runs pretty good, plugs look good, idles and plugs are still clean. so far so good on my part with the big ole carb. i recommend a quick fuel from now on,, marvin @ quick fuel built me the carb and told me what it would do and it would be a lil fat on my motor, so i knocked it down a couple sizes and hit it pretty close. my hats off to quick fuel,, also im runnin his billet regulators and billet regulator block, 1 for motor, 1 for nitrous, real good stuff, i cant say enough about them.
Sounds like your right there. I,m using a proform (850) right out of the box. I think its awsome for the way its performing.No complaints.