metal in my filter

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

sunman

metal in my filter

#1 Post by sunman » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:00 am

fellas I'm in need of some advice, I have a solid roller'd/Coyles gear drive, 406, 600+hp in my drag boat.
King Bearings threw out, I broke in the eng. on Castro 30wgt. opened up the filter and found small metal shavings, Ok!
changed the oil to GT-1 20-50 and ran it for about 35mi. head a squeal in the mill around 4G's just for a sec. the oil psi was good, temps were good
thought it was a loose belt, never did/heard it again.
back at the shop fired it up again and all was good, no noise at all.
I opened up the filter and saw more shavings,
looked at all the main cap bearings, good to go. all the rods slide on their juornils, look'd at a few rod bearings, got one w/what apears 2B a scratch from some shiot, but the bearings R starting to get the polished look as they start to break-in, all the walls look great, and no shavings clinging to anything, I;m stumped...........

sc racing

#2 Post by sc racing » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:15 am

Will the shavings stick to a magnet? If they do start looking at all your components like oil pan baffles,windage tray,dip stick, anything the crank could hit or scrape against.

69firebird

#3 Post by 69firebird » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:55 pm

possibly bronze from a distributor gear? ive heard of lots of guys with roller cams getting some shiny stuff in the filter from these. hope this helps

sunman

#4 Post by sunman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:58 pm

OK fellas here ya go! it's the alum roller rockers toutching the valve springs and retainers :-P
thanks anyway 8-)

78 C10

#5 Post by 78 C10 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:18 am

Sounds like you got fairly lucky. Last time I heard a motor squeel it was the thrust bearing because my motor guy didnt have a mounting plate between my block and scattershield. The input shaft from the trans was pushing on the crank and ate the bearing along with my crank.
My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes.