another alky question, hopefully the last

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

rustbucket

another alky question, hopefully the last

#1 Post by rustbucket » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:19 pm

im switching over to alcohol and bought a kit from a friend. I was on the fence about it but he convenced me the car would pick up. He sold me a victor pro ram, 2 rons flying toilets and the pump, filters and so on...
heres my misunderstanding... The amount of fuel that the motor see's is dependant on the bypass valve pill size. So if Ive got a 85 size bypass pill, thats all the fuel the engine sees regardless of the toilets. (meaning 1 or 2).
How would 1 toiler differ than running 2 and the tunnel ram really isnt acting like a tunnel ram due to the gas being injected right above the intake runners?
Does it sound like this thing can be tuned to run on a 406 sbc?
Im not very familiar with alcohol and still thinking like a carb guy.
any input or suggestions please. thanks, tony
406sbc, powerglide, nitrous
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DssW5vc_t3k

racecar100

Re: another alky question, hopefully the last

#2 Post by racecar100 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:25 pm

I rather run Alky on carb than injected myself because it easier to tune in. You will gain about 15% more on horsepower.

sc racing

#3 Post by sc racing » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:15 pm

If the system came from Rons as a "kit" it must be set up to work with the 2 throttle bodies you have.They make 3 different size toilets all flow different cfm so which ever pair you have probably matches with your pump and barrel valve. If you had 1 toilet of the same size you would probably have a different valve and pump.Just a guess, :scratch: I would call Rons

Racer704

#4 Post by Racer704 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:37 pm

Well like SC racing said its already set up for the 2 TB's and i am sure there is something with the barrle valve but cant be sure.I only used the single back in the day and yes it was a long time ago. Onced you get it set right F/I is much better then a carb as far as maintance and you only need to change the bypass jet if the weather changes that much, but i seriously doubt you will tune it that close to the edge. You can run Methanol almost8 to 10% fatter with no performance drop and this aids with going rounds and staying close to your dial in.Remeber the higher the jet number for the by pass the leaner it will go.

Now dont jump me i think carbs are better for an engine then F/I but not really on methanol because of the amount of fuel needed.F/I will allow you to tune each cyl equaly as it just a matter of knowing how to read a plug running alky.I did pick up abouot .05 go to the F/I over my carb set up and i know needle and seats are better today but there are always issues when you dont need them to pop up with one taking a dump or something.

Rusty my friend you may need to change the brand oil your running as some oils will not let the condensation and excess alky burn off at the end of the day so you have to change it alot more.Ask around who is using what today for oil on alky cars but I found Kendell Gt racing oil was the besrt back then but that was 25 years ago plus so anything could have changed by now.Here is something for all of you to look into buying, it Justice Brothers Heavy Duty Vehicle additive.You only add 2% by volume or racing i run 1oz per quart of oil.This is not snake oil as it does work on protecting metal components in the engine and rear ends and trans.I have seen it on the dyno as well as on the parts.You may have to go to there site http://www.JustriceBrothers.com and e-mail them for your closest distributor to but it.
Johnny B.