sbc pistons

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

pistonpopper

sbc pistons

#1 Post by pistonpopper » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:08 pm

hi guys, talking with an older hotrodder about sbc pistons. he claims that reversing sides with flatop pistons will reduce thrust on sidewalls. anyone ever heard of or tried this? if so are the gains noticed on a street rod engine, and is it worth the effort? :scratch:
thanks, randy

supernova

Re: sbc pistons

#2 Post by supernova » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:57 pm

This is my opinion and my opinion only...........

If the piston is worn on one side enough to warrent reversing them then it's time to replace them.....................................

You are loosing integrity of the piston with time because of ware. I would not reuse a set of pistons just to save a little money, it may cost you more in the long run. I have inspected pistons and found that they are with in tolerance and reused them but that was after a hard look at each and every one closely.

And no I don't think it's worth it.
Thats my opinion......
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

sverbus

#3 Post by sverbus » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:40 pm

I'd have to agree with Supernova...with as cheap as KB pistons and Diamond pistons are, just get a new set and get it all clearenced good and good rings and you'll be way happier.
'70 Nova
434 small block
Best so far of 10.51 @ 131mph with a best so far 60' /1.46

dadnova

#4 Post by dadnova » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:05 pm

I agree as well.
Just tore down a freinds engine after 9 years of running it and you can still see the lath line's in the pistons, so if the skirt is damaged somethings wrong and time to fix.
Gotta plan, spend it before she can, and go as fast as you can.

sc racing

#5 Post by sc racing » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:20 am

Im not sure hes talking about worn pistons I think he means putting the pistons that are supposed to be on the 1-3-5-7 bank on the 2-4-6-8 side. The pistons they make today that are flat top are designed to work on either side so it doesnt make a difference .Maybe back in the day the thought was swapping sides was some kind of racer trick :scratch: