Dart Little M dipstick?

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

sc racing

Dart Little M dipstick?

#1 Post by sc racing » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:41 am

Anybody know what dipstick fits a Little M block. Its on the driverside but its at the bottom of the block near the pan rail.I went on Darts site but couldnt find any info.
Thanks

sc racing

Re: Dart Little M dipstick?

#2 Post by sc racing » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:13 am

Found some part numbers Gm 14094756 stick Gm 14075615 tube. The info I found shows Dart put the hole in line with one of the main caps and some dipsticks will hit so anybody building one fit the dipsick while you have the block on the stand ( if your using a dipstick)

vegaracer

#3 Post by vegaracer » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:11 pm

I'm running one out of a Tempo. :shock:
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

waterdog

#4 Post by waterdog » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:47 pm

My engine was fully assembled before I was able to get the recommended GM dipstick, the tube did hit. My buddy used his bare block to measure how much we needed to trim off the end that goes thru the block. I also shortened up the total length of both pieces(cause that sucker is really long), to more oldschool locaton. Walt
1970 Nova SS 3580lb, Shafiroff 434 na, 9.94@135.8

sc racing

#5 Post by sc racing » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:51 pm

waterdog wrote:My engine was fully assembled before I was able to get the recommended GM dipstick, the tube did hit. My buddy used his bare block to measure how much we needed to trim off the end that goes thru the block. I also shortened up the total length of both pieces(cause that sucker is really long), to more oldschool locaton. Walt
Which one did you use and how much did you cut off? Im not sure if the #s I got will fit or not. The car came to me with the engine in,and the headers in the way of coarse .

sg7365

#6 Post by sg7365 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:54 pm

That is the right one SC Racing.

Same one they recommend. I got a fully prepped race engine back east a couple years ago and they put RTV in the dipstick tube---but I really like to see how much oil is in there--Just good sense--you know. I ended up tearing the engine down to check stuff anyway and its always a good practice to see what they did. Yeah there were some things I did not like and changed them but all in all-its just good engineering practice. They probably didn't put that dipstick in because every customer is different in what they want

It kinda depends on a lot of different things.
I run a Milodon 7qt deep pan with a windage tray.

Now all of us our different and we all have our idea about how things should be-but one thing in common with all of us and that is to keep the crankshaft away from an open sump and thats why windage trays are so important-I can only imagine you run one too. So its almost like having a scavenging system but its still a wet type system. Anyway I always keep that that level of oil below that windage tray.

What I had to do-is to see where the oil level was when the engine was in the car at a normal race level. And I kinda do this by a float level and then set that same thing up on an engine stand. Had to actually cut that tube where I wanted it and weld up a device on it so I could bolt it to the side of the block so it wouldn't cock any and with the header location-just like yourself as you said.
Then the next step was to see where the end of the dipstick hit the windage tray.
After that, got a chassis punch and punched a hole just a little bit bigger than the dipstick, then check for fit. Had to actually bend the dipstick to a slight angle-like an OEM type, and cut off as needed--Must have cut it twice for a good fit and also the tube. Marked the location for a high/low and as to which side the dipstick should face. It could only face one way due to the bend and the headers.
Made up another type device to hold the dipstick in place like a grapper or claw and that connected to the valve cover--just in case the dipstick blew out or got loose--good engineering I guess. This little device had to fit between the headers, sparkplugs/wire and other stuff. Never had a problem.

I know its a lot of bs but something well engineering and if your a one man operation-you want to keep it as simple as possible. Do the hard work now and never look back.

If you want me send a picture-I can but the onle one I can is when looking down into the engine compartment--to hard to see the tube and all and with the engine diaper hiding things. But it shows the top of the dipstick and holding device.
Mine might be a little complicated it works for me. Sorry I could not say the exact size or length because things are made different in each engine-tube length and dipstick length.
Ron

waterdog

#7 Post by waterdog » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:11 pm

I couldn' t find the paperwork, but it's the one Dart recommends, passinger side for a mid 80's camaro or something. I can't tell you what I cut off, but I measured what I've got left, total length tip of the handle to end of the stick - 22 1/4" , from the collar in the block - 1", collar out of the block - 11 1/2". I've got a Milodon pan with all the trays etc. , I had to open up the slot for the dipstick alittle . I have the tube end pointed up and bent the end of the stick so it slides towards the pan and thru the slot , works great. I sanded the end so I can remove it to make changing the plugs easier . Walt :thumb:

waterdog

#8 Post by waterdog » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:17 pm

measurements from the collar are for the tube . Walt

sc racing

#9 Post by sc racing » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I think since I dont know whats in the engine and have no way of pulling the pan Ill just talk to the guy who owns the car and see if he wants me to seal it.