O ring w/cometic?

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

ojh

O ring w/cometic?

#1 Post by ojh » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:52 pm

We had questionable leakdown and pulled a head to find 'O' rings and cometic mls gaskets. This was done by a reputable builder, what do you guys think?
While it is apart we are upgrading to aluminum rods, i am wondering if we should pull the wire and pound in some brass.

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: O ring w/cometic?

#2 Post by John_Heard » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:47 am

I have zip experience with O-Rings, so I'm not sure what I would do in that case. That said, I didn't think Cometics were made to be used like that from what I recall. Might be worth a call to the "reputable builder" to discuss. Maybe he set it up with copper and o-rings and then somebody changed it later?

ojh

#3 Post by ojh » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks John, thats good advice and very possible that somebody else has had thier fingers in the pie. We need to make a decision, good or bad, in next couple days, we want to be on dyno thur or friday for tuning so we can test next week. I think our first race is the 10th.

supernova

#4 Post by supernova » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:55 am

O-ringed blocks are ment to be run with copper gaskets only..... The MLS gaskets are ment to be run with a head and deck finsh of ra 32 or better. The o-ring itself changes the surface finish needed for a MLS gasket.

Leave the wire, it's better and use copper gaskets with the o-rings
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Moparious Maximus

#5 Post by Moparious Maximus » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:45 pm

If its already O-ringed, why not run a copper gasket?
'63 Plymouth, Straight axle, Leaf springs, Drum brakes, 31x10.5wx15 Rears 3215lbs
Best time to date 7.99 @ 170 mph
572" Wedge 8-71 @ 28% OD, ALKY, Glide, Dana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq-xzFWHtFk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfyZSw59R_o

CDR Performance

#6 Post by CDR Performance » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:30 am

ojh wrote:We had questionable leakdown and pulled a head to find 'O' rings and cometic mls gaskets. This was done by a reputable builder, what do you guys think?
While it is apart we are upgrading to aluminum rods, i am wondering if we should pull the wire and pound in some brass.
It has a S/S wire now? Never ever done that trick. We have several customers make the switch from copper to MLS's, FelPro are preferred. When we switch we tap in a copper wire and flat file it to the deck height and use MLS with Zero issues. With Cometics we spray copper or Holmar.
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop

Dart - Callies - BRC - Oliver - BME - Custom Cams - T&D - Trend - JGS - BorgWarner - SuperNatural - EV - CSU - C&S - BS3

http://www.cdrperformance.biz