revised pro comp heads?????

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

pistonpopper

revised pro comp heads?????

#1 Post by pistonpopper » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:38 pm

hi guys, i have an 350 sbc in my shop that we are building for a friend. around 400 hp, street/strip. he is on a fairly tight budget so he was looking at pro-comp aluminum 190 cc heads from skip white......they are saying that they have revised these heads. i know the earlier heads were crappy, but has anyone used or had any experience with the later design ???? at $479 a pair they may be ok for his application and budget :scratch: ! thanks in advance

supernova

Re: revised pro comp heads?????

#2 Post by supernova » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:15 am

You can get Dart Iron Eagles for a little more and know that you have good heads......

I've used the D.I.E. heads on a couple of projects for friends and they seem to be very happy with them.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

luv454

#3 Post by luv454 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:42 am

Hey most people on here probably use high end stuff. :bling: I would say use them and post back how they are. I'm curious about the 210 heads. I see Procomp is now sponsering NHRA Top fuel Dragster that Mike Strasburg drives. Doesn't mean their stuff is good though.

Speedster

#4 Post by Speedster » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:08 pm

Im using a set of procomp 3002 aluminum heads 190cc runners and have not had any problems with them.
only got half a season on them right now and this winter i will pull them off and see how theylook then.

sc racing

#5 Post by sc racing » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:50 pm

You might find some good info at 1320techtalk

Speedster

#6 Post by Speedster » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:50 pm

I read a bunch of the guys comments about how bad these heads are blah blah blah and i talked with some local machine shops here in portland and they all said they have used them and only had a couple problems and procomp covered them.
the problem with reading peoples complaints is your only getting the 1% of the buyers who had issues and not the other 99% who havent. call your local engine builders and tell them what you want and your plans to run the engine and they will tell you wich heads to buy for your budget and your purpose.
I would love to have a set of bad ass AFR heads but dont have the money for them right now. when the money is there i will up grade and sell my current heads or put them on a shelf for another project.

mytmouz

#7 Post by mytmouz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:49 pm

My problem with ProComp is the wide range of their 'quality'. Yes, you might get a 'good' set, then again, you might get the set the deck splits on, or the set that the rocker bosses lift off of. Even if Pro Comp makes it good, you still are down, and all I've seen of their making it good didn't involve labor, gaskets, oil, etc...
Trucks are for haulin...

sc racing

#8 Post by sc racing » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:39 am

They are cheap for a reason, if they fit the budget and your willing to take a chance at something failing use them but if you can wait and save up some $$$ get a better set.

supernova

#9 Post by supernova » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:15 am

It's not just the head that can be damaged, the faling head can do all sorts of other damage to you motor. Like drop a valve into it. We all know what that can do.

My advice is to be patient and save your money and buy a better set of heads. There are lots of goods heads out there for a little more money and you'll be happy're with them.

I've bought some things from Skip White and none of it is on my car now. It's very low quality stuff and in my case didn't fit worth a crap. Can you say made in China.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

79 Camaro

#10 Post by 79 Camaro » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:49 am

YOU GET WHAT YA PAY FOR!!!
If you wanna buy cheap shit, then thats EXACTLY what you will get... Period....

Why spend now and then re-spend again later?? when you can just save a little more and get the good stuff the first time around?? Doesnt make sense to me... :scratch:
"THE THROTTLE IS THE DEVIL" By Mr. Willis
"ALL I SEEN WAS HOOD!" By Mr. Heard
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:
Total Removal Contracting-Tim Rogers

Hitchcock

#11 Post by Hitchcock » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:29 pm

I'm with saving a little longer and get the good stuff the first time. Its is well worth it, I bought a cheap crank a long time ago because I could. Two days after it was at the machine shop, my builder called me and said it was not fit to use for anything.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

Speedster

#12 Post by Speedster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:48 am

I hear what you all are saying. What im saying is if your going to spend $700 on a set of heads why not spend it on aluminum over a set of heavy cast heads? I was working on a budget and the engine was in the car when i bought it and had very small cast heads on it and i saw that i could buy a set of cast heads for $800 or aluminum for $700 or wait and buy better heads like the edelbrocks for $1100 or go balls out and buy some darts or AFR's for around 2 thousand. since i had no idea how good the rest of the motor was i would hate to put big money heads on and have the motor blow up and take my new heads out.
this way i got aluminum heads on the car saved some money and if something goes wrong im not going to cry about losing a set of heads.
I hope to build a new motor this winter with good rods and crank and a set of good heads. I will be able to sale the heads i have now for almost what i payed for them on craigslist and they got me through a season of racing. I hope ;)

ERV JR

#13 Post by ERV JR » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:42 am

I have had trouble with a set of early sbc pro comp heads on a customers build, I have also been told by a few shops that use the stuff they are far better than before, I have another set of sbc heads that only have cam break in time and about 20 min drive time, customer bought them, we built the motor installed them with the headers that he had,g body shorty supposed to clear angle plugs. The plug wire boot hit the header. Called the customer explained the problem and told him the headers wont work with the heads,suggested a new set of headers but he wanted to keep them since they where newly coated and he had exhaust done on the car for the headers. We made him a deal on a set of edelbrock performer rpm heads we had on the shelf and took his heads on trade.
I would be willing to let these heads go cheap, they are taking up my space, i really cant say much about them since they dont have much run time on them
pm me and I will give you a price on them, btw I have a friend who uses alot of the castings but he owns a machine shop and does his own valve jobs and port work, uses manely valves and good springs, he claims they are decent for budget builds

julven

#14 Post by julven » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:14 pm

We have had two set of Pro-Comps and there is a few quality control flaws and we all know you get what you pay for. The current set we got through 1320techtalk (Chad & Drj) and I am very pleased with the performance.We went in to it knowing they were China and what could happen and so far we are happy.

CDR Performance

#15 Post by CDR Performance » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:24 pm

We put a set on our car for Pinks. A 355, with XFI and single turbo. The car at 3500# has been 8.64 @ 160.

I would rather see a set of Darts, AllPros or Something else. But they can be made to work.
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop

Dart - Callies - BRC - Oliver - BME - Custom Cams - T&D - Trend - JGS - BorgWarner - SuperNatural - EV - CSU - C&S - BS3

http://www.cdrperformance.biz