new builder..... just some questions.

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

-SLEEPER-

new builder..... just some questions.

#1 Post by -SLEEPER- » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:05 am

okay so i have been racing for, well, ummm, pretty much since the day i got my license. i have owned two cars that were worthy enough to run down the track. i will admit that i bought em that way.... but i just graduated and have a good job and am wanting to build my own motor..... i am wantin to run all motor at first, then upgrade and such...... whats the easiest cheapest motor i could build?? yer opinions are greatly appriciated...

thanks, Jordan.

sc racing

Re: new builder..... just some questions.

#2 Post by sc racing » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:56 am

sbc or bbc would be your cheapest and easiest. Lots of parts everywhere new and used. Make a plan for how much you want to spend then plan on spending double that.Set a hp goal and just copy a build thats been done before.

Hitchcock

#3 Post by Hitchcock » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Yup same as above. Dont be fooled by thinking that a bbc is lots more than a sbc. Unless you have a short block. If you have a bare block to start with and thats it, cost between the two is very close.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

CDR Performance

#4 Post by CDR Performance » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:03 am

Jordan there is a ton of thing your need to know before even getting near a motor to rebuild.
Plus the basic tools that are required, Mostly precision measuring tools. If you don't have any
of these basic items it may not be worth it, if you only doing one build.

Not knocking anyone try to learn and want to take on the task but it should be done right.
It takes a lot more than torque wrench, plasticgauge (please don't use) and a hammer.

If you'd like to call I'll be in the shop all weekend working. I be glad to talk with you.
CDR PERFORMANCE
The Custom Engine Shop

Dart - Callies - BRC - Oliver - BME - Custom Cams - T&D - Trend - JGS - BorgWarner - SuperNatural - EV - CSU - C&S - BS3

http://www.cdrperformance.biz

spib

#5 Post by spib » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:35 am

have someone build you a very good shortblock, a 383 is a good motor for the value, get some good heads,have a good cam company build and grind you a custom cam, dont go cheap on cam, lifters, or any parts as far as that goes, get a good carb, ignition and work lots of overtime to pay for it, and as said above, plan on spending 2 times as much as you thought or wanted, my new motor was way over 2 times what I thought it would be, but it does run damn good
http://www.youtube.com/user/spib43
10.56 @128 best to date

Bruce69Camaro

#6 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:12 am

Jordan,

One other major component to think hard about is your torque converter/ tranny.

It does do you any good to build yourself a 800hp motor and not have a way to put
all the power to the rear wheels.

Luckily on this site we have Marty Chance from Chance Racing and he can help you
with any answer on that issue.

But just like Spib mentioned, a 383 would be a good start but do your research first.
Just because you ready in a Jegs or Summit catalog that this cam has a gound lumpy
sound and is good up to this and that, it may not be right for your combo. Also a good
set of heads will do wonders for any engine as well as the right sized carb and a good
ignition system.

Trust me, just because you graduated from school, homework never ends.

And find yourself a good reputable engine builder to do your work.

Bruce
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

-SLEEPER-

#7 Post by -SLEEPER- » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:51 pm

thanks for all the input guys.... and i have a shop i could build it in, and someone that knows whats goin on and has all the right tools.... and with the motor i have now, he was tellin me all these numbers and such and yes i have no clue what he was talkin about.... so i will do ALOT of research before doin any building.... and i wasnt really gunna start with jus a block my first time, i was gunna get a stock 305 or 350 and just do a little swapping.... but thanks for all yer guyses insite, i will post pics and probably ask ALOT more questions while building.... thanks guys Jordan Knapp

clutchdude

#8 Post by clutchdude » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:25 pm

I would the most fun i've ever had was just tuning and doing bolt on's to a stock car. You get to see what the changes do for very little cash and you learn as you go.

And in the mean time you continue asking questions and learning as you go...and more than likely you will find someone along the way to show you how to do cam swaps, intake swaps, and more tuning.

Good luck
Jim

HPDRIFTER

#9 Post by HPDRIFTER » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:31 am

If you decide to pay someone to build you an engine, pay extra (if you have to) for him to let you watch / help.
You will appreciate the finished product more if you've touched every part and understand what it does.
You don't learn anything by just writing a check. Have fun.

mytmouz

#10 Post by mytmouz » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:17 am

SInce you have a shop to work out of, I say go for it. Yes, there are pro builders, but they had to start with their first one as well. I took my lumps on my first few, but I couldn't afford to race if I paid someone else to build my hand grenades...
Trucks are for haulin...

BracketNova

#11 Post by BracketNova » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:19 pm

I would agree, my proudest moments at the track are not the wins at the end of a good weekend. It is when I get to tell the guy inquiring about my car that I did 90% of the work. If you have the tools and a mentor or two to help...get your hands dirty!
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs

Moparious Maximus

#12 Post by Moparious Maximus » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:48 am

Like its been said before, I've done 99% of the work on my car and wouldnt have it any other way. There is alot of satisfaction having your own work go down the track, and its cheaper.....(usually).

I built my first drag motor in high school auto shop, I was so proud, the down side was she only made 6 passes then kicked two rods, hint (never trust a machine shop that hot tanks your block to clean ALL the oil passages :scratch: ), I learned that one the hard way.

If you are serious about drag racing, you have to start somewhere and learn somehow, try to find someone who knows what they are doing thats willing to show you a few things. Another thing, websites like this have tons of people that are willing to share information, and from what I can tell a good majority have usefull information they too learned the hard way.
'63 Plymouth, Straight axle, Leaf springs, Drum brakes, 31x10.5wx15 Rears 3215lbs
Best time to date 7.99 @ 170 mph
572" Wedge 8-71 @ 28% OD, ALKY, Glide, Dana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq-xzFWHtFk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfyZSw59R_o

wikd69

#13 Post by wikd69 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:46 am

Moparious Maximus wrote:Like its been said before, I've done 99% of the work on my car and wouldnt have it any other way. There is alot of satisfaction having your own work go down the track, and its cheaper.....(usually).

I built my first drag motor in high school auto shop, I was so proud, the down side was she only made 6 passes then kicked two rods, hint (never trust a machine shop that hot tanks your block to clean ALL the oil passages :scratch: ), I learned that one the hard way.

If you are serious about drag racing, you have to start somewhere and learn somehow, try to find someone who knows what they are doing thats willing to show you a few things. Another thing, websites like this have tons of people that are willing to share information, and from what I can tell a good majority have usefull information they too learned the hard way.
Yeah, what he said, x2 :mrgreen:
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm