496 Dyno

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

y2kdeuce

496 Dyno

#1 Post by y2kdeuce » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:53 pm

Bought this car on eBay; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0759043006

Best of everything! the guy says. 734HP 496 yadda yadda yadda

* 496 CUBIC INCH STROKER 4 BOLT MAIN ( 734 H.P. )

* EAGLE STEEL CRANK

* EAGLE RODS

* SRP DOME PISTONS

* LUNATI CAM 724-724

* CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS

* MANLEY VALVES AND PUSH RODS

* CAST HEADS PORTED ANS POLISHED

* MATCHED PORTED INTAKE

* 1050 DOMINATOR

So the first thing I do? Take it to West Bend (wi) Dyno. Car puts up Max 358 rwHP at 6500 rpm 322 # torque at about 5600 rpm. < see attached >

Car has a turbo 400 trans with a 5400 stall converter, 4:56 dana 60 rear. Air in the room got pretty blue after a hard pull but it doesn't obviously blow the blues at idle or 'normal' operating rpms.

Now the motor was built at least 8 years ago. It's been run hard I'm sure over that time. I've been told it probably needs to be 'freshened up', but to me that torque curve or lack thereof is an indication either the ad was BS in the first place, or something else is seriously wrong. I've never seen torque just fall away like that.

Planning to run the car through the rest of the season to get used to it, then pull the motor and trans to have them gone through. I've been told C&S performance is a good outfit here in Milwaukee. Will probably have them pick up the motor sometime late October.

So what kind of feedback to I leave this seller? Clearly some of what he's saying is BS, and some just stretches the truth. Typical used car salesman I guess. I'm ok with the deal overall - know it'd cost more to build this from scratch than what I paid, but it certainly isn't *exactly* as described, ya know?

Anyway, open to advise on what to do with the motor etc. Car has been a drag car since 74 and is clean. Can't wait to take it to the track and find out for myself if it launches straight etc.

Thanks,

John
Attachments
chevelle dyno2.jpg

mikeT

Re: 496 Dyno

#2 Post by mikeT » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi!
It looks like your right about questioning the sellers BS.

He says it was certified to 7.50?
I could be wrong, but it sure looks like its missing ALOT of bars in the cage to cert to a 7.50???
I also question the weight of the car 2300lb , sounds awful light for that car??? but you can scale it easily to find out for sure. [ I guess closer to 3000]

Makes you wonder what else is BS??

Hopefully it is a 496 with the internals He says are in it???
I would take it out and see what kind of times it runs???
Granted for your first time out it will be off the pace a little, but not a whole lot.

All of the sellers BS aside.
It looks like a nice car for what you paid for it !!
Looks like theres lots of potential too!

chpcamaro

#3 Post by chpcamaro » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:53 pm

well i know it won't cert to 7.50 and i don't see it weighing 2300lbs with that info i would also question the rest of the car. but like said it is a nice looking car for the money
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

Hitchcock

#4 Post by Hitchcock » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:14 pm

Nicer looking car. Hope you enjoy it.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

Bruce69Camaro

#5 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:11 am

Hey John,

I was talking to some other guys on another site and I'll bet, like everyone else has stated, they posted the wrong weight.

I had one guy tell me his 72 Chevelle weighs 3250lbs w/o driver, is 750hp and runs 9.80's in the quarter, sounds a little bit better, huh?

I went to the Wallace Racing website and ran those "claimed" numbers and it's telling me that with the weight of the car and that horsepower you should be running in the 8.50's.

If you decide to contact the owner, I would double check on that weight, but like I said before, you still got a nice car.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch: