Engine Building

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

Outlaw2

Engine Building

#1 Post by Outlaw2 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:33 pm

I'm wanting to build an engine for my 85' chevy truck. I would like the build an engine for street/strip, I have a 3503"billet bored. 030"over but can't decide if it would be best to leave it like that or stroke it as a 383? I'm wanting to run a bracket race. But what I'd like to know is what's the best way to build it on a low budget. Any help or advice would :scratch: be helpful. Thanks

sc racing

Re: Engine Building

#2 Post by sc racing » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Outlaw2 wrote:I'm wanting to build an engine for my 85' chevy truck. I would like the build an engine for street/strip, I have a 3503"billet bored. 030"over but can't decide if it would be best to leave it like that or stroke it as a 383? I'm wanting to run a bracket race. But what I'd like to know is what's the best way to build it on a low budget. Any help or advice would :scratch: be helpful. Thanks
If you need a crank I would do a 383 but the block will needs to be clearance and cam to rod clearance can be an issue also.The 383 will make more power and torque than the 350 which would be better for a heavy truck.IMO

Hitchcock

#3 Post by Hitchcock » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:44 pm

I agree with SC, dont bother with a 355, unless you have already bought an awesome crank for it. Just an FYI, I know exactley how much I spent on my 496, and I know I could have built a much bigger motor for the same money. the cost difference between a 355 and 383 is neglegable at best. If your looking for the best bang for the buck think BIG!
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

Outlaw2

#4 Post by Outlaw2 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:03 pm

Thanks guys, just figuring out the best cam for my build and set up. I've got a friend that races and he said the lunati bracket master 2 cam is a good cam. Its a 480 lift and 292 duration. Thanks again any info ya'll want to give will be helpful. 8-)

Hitchcock

#5 Post by Hitchcock » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:39 pm

I sassy don't get a cam til you have heads. But take that with a grain of salt as mine is mismatched anyhow.
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

sc racing

#6 Post by sc racing » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:51 am

Outlaw2 wrote:Thanks guys, just figuring out the best cam for my build and set up. I've got a friend that races and he said the lunati bracket master 2 cam is a good cam. Its a 480 lift and 292 duration. Thanks again any info ya'll want to give will be helpful. 8-)
You need a cam that works with YOUR combination, every cam made is "good" but that doent mean its "good" for you.You need all the info before you pick a cam after you have that call a cam manufacture like Comp Cams or Bullet Cams ( there are many more) or a good engine builder and let them pick a cam for your combo.

Outlaw2

#7 Post by Outlaw2 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:37 pm

Hey guys, I recently bought a set of vortec heads for my motor but is still having a hard time trying to figure out the right cam to use and tranny. I've been told using a turbo 400 is the better way but what about a powerglide? Any suggestions or advise? This is a play truck but will be drove short mileage also. Help please. Thx :scratch:

Hitchcock

#8 Post by Hitchcock » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:14 pm

I'm gonna say to stick with the th 350 or 400. As far as the cam, how fast are you wanting this thing to go, and how much power are you looking at trying to make? What kind of tappet are you wanting to run. I would say make the jump straight into a hydraulic roller. Its way more pricey but by the time you grind a flat tappet down (and you will) a few times you have bought the upgrade over and over. Reason I say that about the flat tappets, is the oil formula's have changed since the OEM's switched to rollers years ago. And now its very, very easy to flatten out a flat tappet. If you have a choice on a couple of shelf grinds, with a street duty truck like your talking go with the smaller grind.

Also, if your not to money heavy in your Vortec heads, which are a pretty impressive head, A few years ago I had a brand new set of Dart Iron Eagles with 180 runners, and cut for a 2.02 valve. These would be awesome on your build. Anyhow, I sold them to a member here, who still has them and are still bare and unused. If your interested I will put you two in contact and see if a deal can be made. Just an FYI, your Vortec's probably cost more than I sold these for. Good luck, and keep us posted. :thumb:
73 Vette, moly back half
Pump gas 496
Two Pro Systems 950's
Chance 6000 converter

Ls7camaro

#9 Post by Ls7camaro » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:02 pm

If your going to the 383, what about that 3.875 stroke crank? Car Craft did that and made a 396, and since its in a truck, wouldn't you be looking for the most tq you could get? I am not sure the price difference, but if your gonna buy one, would that be worth it?
I can't wait for race season, this has got to be the year.

HPDRIFTER

#10 Post by HPDRIFTER » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:45 pm

I would suggest that you decide what motor you want to build and define what you want to do with it (use, chassis, vechicle weight, torque convertor, tires, gears, etc.), then call a major cam company and talk to them about what they recommend for your application.
They will give you the best advise available, because they want yo to be happy with their product. A happy customer is the best advertising that they can have; and an unhappy customer is the worst.
The right choices will make your project fun and the wrong choices can make it "unfun".
Good luck.