Spacer Talk 101

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

Spacer Talk 101

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:37 am

Can someone give me a quick class on understanding a spacer and it's functions?

I know that they say for better torque, use a 4 hole spacer and for more RPM, use a open hole spacer but how and when do you know that you need one?

I also know they sell them made out of various materials, like wood, aluminum and composite materials. Is one better then the other one? I was told that wood is a good choice because it does not absorb heat, but then you see all of these plastic or composite material spacers.

How about the carb shields, the one I have uses the composite base under the aluminum shield. Currently I have it hanging on the shelf or should I think about putting it on?

I'd just like a better understanding of them in case Keith says, lets try a spacer, I can at least act like I know what he's talking about..... :smt003
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Spacer Talk 101

#2 Post by John_Heard » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:28 am

I'm looking for a magic spacer that increase torque and HP, but will also fit under the hood? :scratch:

BracketNova

Re: Spacer Talk 101

#3 Post by BracketNova » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:01 pm

From my reading, I don't think any of us on this forum will use a 4-hole. If I understand correctly, they increase low-end torque. For us we are up and out of that before we leave the line.

So, open spacers. I scavenged a local swap meet and got a few heights to play with. The taller the spacer the more it will increase plenum volume. There is a theory that intakes are made on the small side, or in other words made so they will still work on the smaller engines they fit. This is bad new for us Bruce (as we both own baby big blocks). I haven't tried my spacers yet, but if that theory holds true the spacers I have will do little to help me out...as I already have close to the correct amount of air. Now, if you had a 496, that would use the same intake as on our 396s there could be some real gains.

Also, the further your carb is off the intake the cooler it will remain, which means a denser air/fuel mix.

Anyway, that is what I have concluded from my research.
"I always compare drag racing to lighting $100 bills on fire, only it's more expensive." - Craig W.

Check out my website...
http://www.findmoneyraces.com

'71 Nova E85
6.69 @ 100.2 MPH 9/6/14
1.4257 60'
1700' DA

13:1 439 BBC
3330 lbs