Need advice on this application.

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

GMC4x4Drag

Need advice on this application.

#1 Post by GMC4x4Drag » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:40 pm

Hello all,

I am a newb not only to this site, but drag racing as well. We recently had a 8th mile track put in over here and I started taking my truck out there to see what it would run. Everyone I have talk to so far said that times I got were pretty damn good considering it was stock.

I am looking for some upgrade ideas. I have a few I will list here in a bit.

Stock:

1998 GMC Sierra 4x4 w/ a Vortec 350.
Not sure if the plugs in it were original, but they were pretty burned. AC Delco
Original wires
K&N Air Filter w/ top removed off of cover.
124000 miles on her. I have put about 21k on it in the past year I have had it.

I ran 11.57 at about 60 mph steady all night. About 8 races. Hell even my first time out I entered a truck shoot out and came in third.
Only in 2 wh drive, I am kinda scared to kick in the 4HI.

That was on Friday night.
Sunday I installed a MSD Blaster Coil PN 8223 I believe and installed NGK Iridium Pre Gap plugs. Just from that for the week going back and forth to work and around town I noticed a small increase in performance and HP. The next weekend I took her out again and did not do so good. My best time was 11.42, but my worst time was 11.87. Her times were not consistant at all.

Still have no idea what went wrong here, Are the NGK Iridium an alright plug for drag racin. Or should I switch them out?

I am going to be installing an MSD 6AL w/ rev limiter and a throttle body spacer this weekend.

The other day I noticed a real bad miss, I assumed it was the plug wires so I ran to Advance Auto and bought some AutoLite 7mm. I installed them and the miss was gone. I also gained a few more horses and greater performance.

I would like to upgrade to either MSD or Accel Wires if I will gain more from them with this small application. Remember I will be adding the MSD box w/ the Blaster coil I already installed.

Also I am planning on buying a Hypertech Programmer, Headers, and some drag tires If I continue drag racing the truck.

So, what do you guys think, I am open to any ideas and/or comments!

Check the video in my Tag, I love it. I am in the left hand lane from the cam.

JohnDougherty

#2 Post by JohnDougherty » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:27 am

You need this :
http://www.ststurbo.com/

Craig W.

#3 Post by Craig W. » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:17 pm

When tuning a vehicle, you'll want to keep a close eye on the trap speed. That's a better indicator of horsepower. ET will vary with traction, launch technique, shift points, etc.

Headers, good exhaust and freeing up the intake tract are good places to start. You want to get as much air in and out of the engine. Playing with the ignition timing will also yield gaines on most vehicles. I've picked up as much as 4 tenths on one night from just playing with timing.

Sounds like you're having fun. Keep it up!
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

GMC4x4Drag

#4 Post by GMC4x4Drag » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:15 pm

Hey John thanx for that link to that site. I may just check one out.

What I don't get. The Z-71 with this turbo on it running a 12.9 on an 8th. WTF???

Stock my pony is runnin 11.4, whats up with that. Do I just have a bad ass motor or what?

Here is a link to one of my races, I apologize the cam op did not get the time in the shot, and I did do a little editing. Must be 18 yrs to watch, one small profound word in the begining of the song.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 629909&n=2

Just added some music to the back ground. I am on the left in the gold GMC. Just think what the Turbo could do with this application.

And Craig, Thanx to you bro. I am open to any advice or suggestions. I am having fun with this and I hope to go on move up and design my own motor/truck for drag racing.

If that link dont work or if you have trouble, I do have a second link to another server its on.

Thanx guys,
4x4

GMC4x4Drag

#5 Post by GMC4x4Drag » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:12 am

Ok, here are a couple of more ideas I just through together, to much for this paticular motor?

Synthetic Racing Oil 20/50
Racing fuel 50/50

I have a dual exhaust from the manifold back,
is an X pipe in order?? Any suggestions?
Edlebrock Headers
2 Magnaflow Catalytic Converters

B & M Auto Transmission Shift Kit w/ Transpak

Granatelli Motorsports Mass Air Flow Sensor
" " Cold Ait Intake
Throttle Body Spacer
Tornado, Suggested by O'Reily's <~~

Accel 8 mm wires
MSD 6AL Controller
Performance Ignition Module
Accel Cap and Rotor Kit

HyperTech Programmer

Turbo Charger <~~ Maybe!

Parts Only about 2 grande

Labor to install, God knows!

Watchin Stangs and F - Bodies in the mirror, Priceless!

LoL, J/K Who knows,

Ok, as you all know all this is for the outside of the motor. I have not yet put a kit together for the inside.

I have read a little about roller rockers vs. Hydraulic.

Anyway, it is to late to worry about it, maybe I will get back to that.

You guys are great!

4x4

JohnDougherty

#6 Post by JohnDougherty » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:26 am

There was a STS turbo powered 4x4 on regular street tires running up here at the local strip.
He had a 5.3 LS-1 with a cam, longtube headers, the STS turbo, a water injection set up with alcohol mixed in and some computer work. Ran 12.30's @ 110mph.
Oh yeah, this is on a 1/4 mile track.

Here is his webpage,
http://www.fatalfoo.com/F8L%20Z71.htm

sc racing

#7 Post by sc racing » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:34 am

Hey GMC4X4 sounds like you got the racing bug too thats great! Just some suggestions all those parts will help but if you look at the cost compared to the HP gains your better off saving up for a turbo or supercharger generally 45-65% gain . An x pipe might be really hard for install with a tranfer case and all that stuff in the way, race fuel probably wont help because your engine is designed to run on low octane fuel. I read an artical about the vortec head out of the box they can support over 400HP so you got good stuff to work with. Sounds like your having lots of fun thats what its all about keep us updated.

GMC4x4Drag

#8 Post by GMC4x4Drag » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:24 pm

Hey,

This coming up week, I am for sure adding a Street Performance Throttle Body Spacer, and the MSD 6 AL Controller.

I slight mifire has come to my attention so racing may be off for tonight, I am about to head up to the auto part store and get a gun and see if I can locate the cylinder giving me hell. Thanx for they positive attitude, and I will, as I move up and forward I will deff stay in contact with you.

4x4

SS8UUP

#9 Post by SS8UUP » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:31 pm

instead of getting a spacer why not get a ported throttle body? also i dont think the tornado is going to help your performance any. go on performancetrucks.net they might be a little more of a help to you it is a very helpful forum full of truck enthusiast. there is a guy on there that goes by parish he has a single cab lsX 4X4 that is turboed and runs low 10.s in street trim. He competed in hotrods "drag week" i belive he won his class.

GMC4x4Drag

#10 Post by GMC4x4Drag » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:31 am

Thanx SS,

I checked out a couple of reviews on porting and finishing you stock throttle body and I have seen better reviews on a spacer than applying this. 5-7 hp vs 10 -15. That is what I have seen. I will check into a little more later though.

Thanx,

4x4

SS8UUP

#11 Post by SS8UUP » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:21 am

GMC4x4Drag wrote:Thanx SS,

I checked out a couple of reviews on porting and finishing you stock throttle body and I have seen better reviews on a spacer than applying this. 5-7 hp vs 10 -15. That is what I have seen. I will check into a little more later though.

Thanx,

4x4
no problem man, I used to have an LS1 camaro and a ported TB was usualy worth a couple tenths while on the other hand nobody seemed to like the spacers. but the LSx motor is a whole differant animal, especilly with the way the intakes is layed out, if on you application spacer do the trick then go for it.

GMC4x4Drag

#12 Post by GMC4x4Drag » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:27 am

Check this out!!

The past three days the truck has been having a bad mis fire. Last night I noticed an air puff sound coming from the passenger side pipe. I asked about a 100 ppl, mechanics, parts houses, u name it, no one offer any advice except maybe a sensor. Where if it was a sensor the the Engine light would have come on. I went down this morning and bought some AC Delco Plat plugs, checked the gap on each as I installed and this mis is missing now. Man, this is caused a lot of worry in me. I was a fraid of blowing a motor, timing. Anyway, This week I have the new Accel Cap and Rtr and a St. Performance Throttle body spacer coming in. If we have a good wk and no rain this weekend we will be back on the track and hopefully have better than a 11.42 time.

4x4

SS8UUP

#13 Post by SS8UUP » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:12 pm

Im glad you figured out the problem

GMC4x4Drag

#14 Post by GMC4x4Drag » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:56 pm

Check this out, I got a Helix TBS from O'Riely's today. Got home, got it installed, and noticed IMMEDIATE Results. Quicker throttle response, she is shiting awfully hard though into second. I think the programmer will help with that right? I am not going to break her loose though till I am finished.

All I need is the:

Accel 8 mm SP wires,
Accel Cap and Rotor Assembly,
MSD 6AL Controller & a
HyperTech Programmer.

End of Stage One 1.

OMG This is going to be so kewl, Already I have the quickest 4x4 at the track, just wait till I am through with this stage. Then comes the fun part,

Stage 2.

New head, cam, lifters, etc. I am still researching all that.

Damn, I sure wish there was a place around here to do a Dyno tune, I think the nearest place is Dallas. Not to sure. We did have one, but business was so slow, they shut it down, :-(

Anyway,

What do ya think?

4x4

P.S. Just curious, have any of you seen my vid on MySpace? If it doesnt show up, just click a couple of times in the center of all that white space and it should. I would like some feedback on it if you dont mind.

Again, thanx to EVERYONE for your help and support for this beginner!

:-)

CHEERS to U ALL!!!

Heres to you!

SS8UUP

#15 Post by SS8UUP » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:41 pm

GMC4x4Drag wrote:Check this out, I got a Helix TBS from O'Riely's today. Got home, got it installed, and noticed IMMEDIATE Results. Quicker throttle response, she is shiting awfully hard though into second. I think the programmer will help with that right? I am not going to break her loose though till I am finished.

All I need is the:

Accel 8 mm SP wires,
Accel Cap and Rotor Assembly,
MSD 6AL Controller & a
HyperTech Programmer.

End of Stage One 1.

OMG This is going to be so kewl, Already I have the quickest 4x4 at the track, just wait till I am through with this stage. Then comes the fun part,

Stage 2.

New head, cam, lifters, etc. I am still researching all that.

Damn, I sure wish there was a place around here to do a Dyno tune, I think the nearest place is Dallas. Not to sure. We did have one, but business was so slow, they shut it down, :-(

Anyway,

What do ya think?

4x4

P.S. Just curious, have any of you seen my vid on MySpace? If it doesnt show up, just click a couple of times in the center of all that white space and it should. I would like some feedback on it if you dont mind.

Again, thanx to EVERYONE for your help and support for this beginner!

:-)

CHEERS to U ALL!!!

Heres to you!
Check your connections making sure everything is still plugged in. I know if the MAF is left unhooked it will make the tranny shift hard as shit even at very low throttle levels. the TBS senson might also effect the engines torque management settings in the computer, im not sure.

your in the odessa area right? if so go to Texas speed & performance(TSP) in lubbock that is where i dyno at. Jason, Trever and the rest of the guys are all pretty cool to deal with. They are also very good at tuning. if you plan on any big mods it would be a better idea to have the factory computer tuned (reprogramed) because a hand held programer just cant change everything that is required. a full dyno tune cost about the same as a hand held programer about 300-350$ after the initial cost tuning update are free.

Stuart B.