Freezing ?

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

sc racing

Freezing ?

#1 Post by sc racing » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:11 am

Anybody here ever had any parts gone through cryogenic freezing? I have access to a freezer and was thinking of doing some parts but I would like to talk to someone who had parts done before instead of a company thats trying to get me to send my parts to them.
Steve

shooked

#2 Post by shooked » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:58 pm

DPMS cryo's gun barrels to relieve stress points in them. It supposedly prevents the part (barrel) from bending or warping. It makes the metal denser, smoother and stronger creating a homogenously stabilized part. What was you planning on cryoing? It did nothing for Walt Disney, John Wayne, or Timothy Leary, not a bit stronger.
I would be more apathetic if I were not so lethargic

CoMax Racing

Cryo Freezing

#3 Post by CoMax Racing » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:26 pm

Its suppose to increase durablity of cranks and blocks upto 300%. The prostock boys are doing it. However, I don't think its just a matter of freezing the part. There is obviously a procedure for it and like heat treating if done wrong you can do damage.

shooked

#4 Post by shooked » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:28 pm

go go www.diversifiedcryogenics.com they detail how they use a computer controlled method to slowly cool the object down. Has anyone given you an estimate on the cost?
I would be more apathetic if I were not so lethargic

sc racing

#5 Post by sc racing » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:23 pm

I understand how it works Ive been on some sites already I just wanted to see if anyone had personal experience with it .When I said I had access to a freezer I meant an actualy cryogenic freezer. I dont think a block will fit but I can do almost every other engine part plus brake rotors ,axles, etc. I can do it myself at work so it wouldnt cost much.