SB2.2 Heads

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

wheelsup

SB2.2 Heads

#1 Post by wheelsup » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:23 am

Hello all,
I am pondering a set of SB2.2 heads for my R.E.D. I am running a 406, alky injected Birdcatcher Hat, PG w/neal chance convertor 6700 stall. Also have a 5500. Any body out there in drag land use these roundy round heads with any success? They sure seem to flow big #'s, and produce big power with 358 inches. Thanks for any help. 8)
Yeah, it may be slow but it needs paint.....

jones_performance

#2 Post by jones_performance » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:59 pm

they require special pistons and valve train, have not seen too many on drag cars since you can get the same type of flow numbers out of 18 or 15 degree heads from brodix afr etc.
Kevin

wheelsupp

SB2.2's

#3 Post by wheelsupp » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:18 am

My problem with conventional heads is their inability to cool in between the center exhaust valves. The SB2.2 has cooling built in here, but some say it is too thin to withstand boost, 15-1 etc. My buddies motor just torched out his 15* PRO heads last week, and thats what I dont want. Some say the canted valve brodix is the way to go, but Ive seen the price of that setup, and the SB2.2 stuff sells cheap comparatively. I'm just N/A with methanol now but plan to install my blower soon.

jones_performance

#4 Post by jones_performance » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:55 pm

take a look at brodix heads, they have lins to get coolant flowing to the center cylinders, also there are tricks you can do with drilling and taping the block and running lines to get better cooling, look into smokey yunick secrets for that stuff.
Kevin