Needing A Oil Pan

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

julven

Needing A Oil Pan

#1 Post by julven » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:17 pm

Okay guys I am looking for some one that makes a steel oil pan for a Sbc, Std rail Rodek 350+ block, 3.80 stroke, steel rod, 3 stage dry sump in a 72 nova stock chassis,N/A engine. I have talked with Steffs,Canton,Moroso,Peterson and all say I need a custom Alum Pan. It is hard to take that this is not a fairly simple pan.Any ideas on who to try. Thanks Jason

Mike Peters

#2 Post by Mike Peters » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:27 pm

A steel 3 stage dry sump for a stock chassis? I'm pretty sure that's not an off-the-shelf item that I know of anywhere. Just out of curiosity, let me ask you why you would want to put a steel pan on a Rodeck block?

julven

#3 Post by julven » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:41 pm

Just trying to save a little money. I still need headers @ 1500.00 and I am lucky to just to even have the motor.It's not somthing I could have with out my Dad. Jason

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:17 pm

Sounds like someone's steppin' up this winter! You going racing anywhere in particular?

Mike Peters

#5 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:08 am

Missouri......Hmmmmmmmm Doesn't the "M" in MAKO stand for Missouri? Jason, bring it out next season and run some of the MAKO races.

www.makotenfive.com

As far as finding a STEEL dry sump pan, I think you might be hard-pressed to do so. Most racers willing to spend the $$$ for a dry sump system don't even flinch at the extra bucks for an aluminum pan. I assume you already have the 3 stage pump. Are you having the headers built or are you ordering them? I'd think you could save some money there and have what you need in the price difference between an aluminum pan and a steel if there even is a steel dry sump pan to fit a stock chassis available off the shelf.

moeraces

pan

#6 Post by moeraces » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:05 am

Look at Speedway automotive , they carry Barnes, dry sump pans for smallblock, don't know if they offer one for your application, but they are on the i-net at www.speedwaymotors.com,,,they are primarily geared towards the sprint car and winged outlaw type round track ,go - left,, but still have nice stuff, ck e'm out ,,,, may not help, but worth a-try..........................lol, mike

julven

#7 Post by julven » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:20 am

Missouri......Hmmmmmmmm Doesn't the "M" in MAKO stand for Missouri? Jason, bring it out next season and run some of the MAKO races.

www.makotenfive.com

As far as finding a STEEL dry sump pan, I think you might be hard-pressed to do so. Most racers willing to spend the $$$ for a dry sump system don't even flinch at the extra bucks for an aluminum pan. I assume you already have the 3 stage pump. Are you having the headers built or are you ordering them? I'd think you could save some money there and have what you need in the price difference between an aluminum pan and a steel if there even is a steel dry sump pan to fit a stock chassis available off the shelf.

I want to come out and at least watch a MAKO race or two this next year at MOKAN they sound like fun. Also looking forward to meeting some of you here on the Board. I have picked up a lot here.
I have the pump and lines. I just need a pan that will fit the chassis and a tank.
The headers from what I know are going to be one off. The heads are Brodix CV heads http://www.brodix.com/heads/canted.html . I talked with Dan Lemons and he said they are wider and longer than a std sbc head. Out of everyone I tried he is the only one that says he can build them with out the car and has a good reputation.
Don't get me wrong here I want the best it's just I am trying to fund another engine for my Dad's street/strip car and pay for this stuff with out my Dad spending very much. The money that I spend does not come from my daily job income as I have a small family of my own. It is all from side jobs. My Dad has given to me my whole life just trying to do all I can with what I have. We do this together and have a goodtime.
Not crying here just maybe some insight from where I am at. Thanks Jason

julven

#8 Post by julven » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:40 am

Sounds like someone's steppin' up this winter! You going racing anywhere in particular?
Just a little! LOL! One day I would like to join a series maybe with you guys. It will just be some time.
John, I am sure I will be mailing with questions this is looking like a real project. Jason

Mike Peters

#9 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:51 am

Jason, I sent you a PM.

race9899

#10 Post by race9899 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:10 am

Julven, give me a call, I do have to have the car but can generally build a set of SBC header for $1250-$1350 on a Nova. I would suggest doing them on the car particularly when doing a dry sump oil system. I am in Broken Arrow Oklahoma, If you were not to far away may help save you a little money and avoid some possible problems.

Jeff Holloway
918-451-8212

julven

#11 Post by julven » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:03 pm

I will be giving you a call Jeff.Thanks Jason

Mike Peters

#12 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:06 pm

Jeff's a good guy. He'll give you some insight from his experience. :wink: