leaking coolant from under aluminum heads

General Engine Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

moeraces

leaking coolant from under aluminum heads

#1 Post by moeraces » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:16 pm

I hAVE A 347 stroker ,,,,i ain,t gonna say what brand ,,,,that i,ve built for a customer , w/ edelbrock Victor aluminum heads,and SCE copper head gaskets ,,,, used copper coat, on e,m , block is o-ringed, ARP HEAD BOLTS, Properly torqued, no coolant contamination in oil, or vice versa,,,,,leaking coolant like hell on both sides , used #2 permatex on the headbolt threads on assembly, have never had one to leak using that stuff before ,except on a studded block , but this one has screwed me, any ideas on anything to stop it , other than pulling them back off, ...tried k&w block seal , slowed it some ,,,, no stop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?: :(

aitch o

#2 Post by aitch o » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:20 pm

i have had more luck with bars leak vs. aluma seal. it plugs up your radiator and heater core also, but at least slows down and stops most head gasket weeps.
scott

moeraces

leak

#3 Post by moeraces » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:27 pm

yep , You're right Scott, i have had pretty good sucess with Bars also, but did not work on this one,Today i pullled headbolts in reverse Torque order, cleaned them then applied Formagasket #2on the threads,again, Retorqued,,,,I'm Gonna let it sit 24 hours,before i put any coolant back in it,,,,hope that will take care of it ,,,,i did notice that the Breakaway torque was nothing like as strong on the lower line externally as was the ones, under the valve covers, just don't know , hope this will cure it , never had this problem, before with any except a studded bbc, i ended up teflon taping the threads and using #2 permatex to stop that one...hope this will git e'r, thanks for the suggestion,, ,,,,,Mike

sunsation540

#4 Post by sunsation540 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:34 pm

the local parts store sells sodium silicate wes called liquid glass for years the current retail is known as CARGO, clear with what looks like gold flakes best sealer in the industry. however we have blower mtrs that run a constant 6200-6600 at 12 psi. 598 ci 1350 hp we use cometic gaskets the o-rings suck and has always leaked . high heat copper silicone on water jackets copper coat all. liquid teflon on all bolts and studs, leave studs 1/2 turn backed out when torquing .fire dry run till hot let cool, re- torque re- heat let cool then add coolant. liquid glass will not stop -up rad or heaters do folow instructions to a T..
make a plan and stick to it !!

moeraces

NO LEAKY!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Post by moeraces » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:06 pm

Got that HEIFER,IZER, stopped today guys , voilia!!!!!!! as the oriental gal sey ,,,,,NO more Leaky, Thanks guys for the help, did,nt have to use any stop leak , got it with #2 formagasket on the head bolts , did fire it up dry yesterday after it had set up 24+ hours , put some heat in it a coupla times over the course of the day, then lett e'r sit another 24hrs , put in the coolant today, no leaky ,,,,happy day , oh happy day... and i know the gold sealer urr were speaking of , called Car-go, we used to sell some @ Napa made in California called Jones Motor Purr, was the best i ever saw, can,t get it here anymore , but advance auto here seys they can get Cargo,, gonna try it next time i have a problem,,,thanx guys.............. mike :D