Something wicked this way comes...

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

John_Heard
Site Admin

Something wicked this way comes...

#1 Post by John_Heard » Thu May 31, 2007 9:38 am

Johnny Barb 2007 Tour

Close examination of these pic's will tell you a few things, I'll let Johnny fill you in on what else he wants to disclose. I just talked to Johnny this morning and he's excited, looks like this might be his year. Testing last weekend went very well and everything's looking good! For those that don't know what they're looking at, this is the most advanced Nitrous Injected Pro Mod in the world. When he gets the tune up figured out watch out!

RCJ

#2 Post by RCJ » Thu May 31, 2007 2:08 pm

The nitrous is being injected in the plenum offset from the runners and the fuel at the base of the runners?Is the black on the headers a heat coating?

Racer704

#3 Post by Racer704 » Thu May 31, 2007 4:09 pm

No not at thia time but HPC will be doing them shortly when we have a break. This is trying to show promise finally now that we have a sealed engine for the 1st time since new. There is so much more to this manifold then I am willing to go into right now.

Please understand that its something I wanna finish before I shout out to the world along with a few other thing that will be know here very shortly.

I hope everyone can appreciate the time and thouoght it has taken to get it this far and if you look close you can tell we have a new front end on the car with a little brighter flames.

Thanks
Johnny B.

71 Nova

#4 Post by 71 Nova » Thu May 31, 2007 11:26 pm

That is an awesome engine! Beautiful. And the car looks as hot as the engine.
Good luck this year!
69 Nova 408 SBC
Best to date: 10.241 @ 128.36 mph 1.404 60ft.

Mike Peters

#5 Post by Mike Peters » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:34 am

Very neat and tidy installation. I think Trevor knows his stuff. It's amazing how much cleaner the set-up is without 3 or 4 stages of plumbing to route. Without a close-up view, I have trouble seeing but, are those holes in the sides of the nitrous pulsoids? What purpose do they serve? A purge port? Have you found that injecting the N2O in the plenum cools the intake charge more or is there something going on inside the intake you're not willing to divulge yet?

I think I can speak for everyone else on the Dragstuff board in wishing you much success this season Johnny. Thanks for letting John share those photos with us.
"If winning was easy, losers would be doing it"

Racer704

#6 Post by Racer704 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:45 am

Thanks but the parts are Trevs and the nitrous side is his new set up but the placement of Pulsoids and the the fuel injector with the pulsoids is what we came up with over the winter.. The holes in the Pulsoids are where the wires use to come out back a few years ago.Mike there is alot more going on in the plenum then I want to go into at this time and the fuel side we made are own injector.

We are heading out this weekend and have fixed a few little problems that caused us some grief but nothing big.

Thank you for the good wishes
Last edited by Racer704 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Johnny B.

Mike Peters

#7 Post by Mike Peters » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:18 am

Man Johnny, do I feel stupid. :? I didn't even see the fuel Pulsoids had the same holes in them so obviously they aren't purge ports. :roll: Totally understandable you don't want to reveal all your hard work going on inside the intake. Hope you set the nitrous Pro Mod world on it's ear!!!! 8-)

Racer704

#8 Post by Racer704 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:37 pm

Hey Thanks Mike and thank you everyone here on DragStuff for your support. Things are lookinmg up this year now that we have a motor that is sealed up.
Johnny B.

Mike Peters

#9 Post by Mike Peters » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:00 am

Racer704 wrote:Thanks but the parts are Trevs but the set up is mine. The holes in the Pulsoids are where the wires use to come out back a few years ago.Mike there is alot more going on in the plenum then I want to go into at this time and the fuel side we made are own injector.
Uh Johnny, looks like "The Wizard of Public Relations" is taking some credit for your design.......... :lol:

Johnny Barb had THE MOST INSTANTANEOUS hit that ANY nitrous system has EVER delivered, since the distance from the solenoid seat to the injector outlet was less than 2" but it was till what I call a 'soft' hit because the EXACT amount of desired fuel was delivered to the engine at EXACTLY the same time as the fuel, so there as NO lean hit. It was also RELATIVELY soft as he seldom used more than 30% of the full power of the jets.

Now Johnny has had so many UNRELATED problematic issues over the years he's been using my system, that it's impossible to make any hard and fast conclusions about whether that degree of 'instantaneousness' was beneficial to traction or not but as he's run a number of sub 1.0 sec 60 ft times (despite his problems) I'll leave you to decide if my SOFT hitting system has been TOO SOFT!!!!

However if you could see the inside of Johnny's manifold for this year, you'd see that we've made some mods to SOFTEN the hit, because although we can't be sure, I believe that even though the hit was 'soft' in my terms, it was TOO instantaneous.

Regards

Racer704

#10 Post by Racer704 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:00 am

We are heading out this weekend weather permitting and now that I have got are fuel pressure problems fixed we should start seeing some small improvments over the next month or so as I am going very slowly and there are reasons for this and it should be out in the next few weeks on Pro Mod sourse when Van writes a story about the team and the things that are going on this year.

Thanks Mike and everyone else here for your support it means alot to me to have people pulling for me as I have so many laughing at me and wanting me to fail but I pay them no mind. :-P
Last edited by Racer704 on Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny B.

Racer704

#11 Post by Racer704 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:27 am

I would also like to note to Trev's credit and his crew that when I call and need something they always get it or make it for me and get it out quickly. The new Max Extreme that I have has twice the parts then most because of the 16 Pulsoids, and there making me a second right now with a few other new features just for me.

When you have a company working that closly with you and all the testing I have done over there in England Trev can say what ever he wants.
Johnny B.

Mike Peters

#12 Post by Mike Peters » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:54 am

Johnny, you're a great guy and it's nice to have someone of your level sharing info and insight. I've learned a lot from John H. He speaks highly of you. I know you have a better insight to who Trevor is than most anyone here in the STATES. I was just making light of his consistant belittling of any other nitrous product out on the market. You know as well as I do that he would be greeted more warmly if he approached the public in a respectful manner rather than his current strategy. I think he somewhat enjoys his critics and bashers and spends considerable energy refuting their jabs and pokes. :smt064

A wise PR Man he is not though his cult might think otherwise. :lol:

Here's to hoping you can validate Trevor's claims to having the best components in the galaxy.

Racer704

#13 Post by Racer704 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:42 am

Thanks Mike and your right about thr PR stuff, but maybe thats why he has me..lolol

I still have a open invite to John to fly in for a race weekend.Maybe soon...
Johnny B.

Racer704

#14 Post by Racer704 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:06 pm

Well wouldnt you know it i spend friday night putting it all back together and ready and I was really sweating alot and this was in air condtioned shop about 72. I spent the rest of the night and early morning praying to the porcilen God. I am just now getting over something.

I am heading down to SC for a race @ Orangeburg Sat. but Daqd and i are heading to Tommy Mauneys to get few new parts added to the chassis and Tommy is going to help with the cars set up on Friday test session.

Will keep everyone posted, man sooner or later things got to go right for us or ME!! :lol:
Johnny B.

Mike Peters

#15 Post by Mike Peters » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:02 am

Good luck Johnny. May the "chips of good fortune" fall in your direction. Hope you get some favorable results and the hard work pays off. 8-)

Keep us posted..........