BOTTLE VALVE SIZE

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

ERV JR

BOTTLE VALVE SIZE

#1 Post by ERV JR » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:32 pm

If a super high flow and a high flow valve both a the same 5/16 orfice in the valve the how dose th epickup tube size matter , if one has a 3/8 and the other a 1/2, you are still limited by the 5/16 orfice in the valve ,but when i called nitrous supply i was told that for anything above 350 to 400 hp shot i need the super high flow valve. What do you think ? Can they flow any different since the valve is the same size

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:21 pm

I'd be willing to be you could get a 400 shot out of the High Flow valve, however I've never tested one myself. All my valves are the super high flow models except for one oddball bottle I have from Cold Fusion. That one has the old style valve on it, but I modified the pickup tube on it - it will easily flow 400 though.

Something to consider though, the Super High Flow w/gauge will have a better resale value should you decide to sell them at some point in the future.

ERV JR

#3 Post by ERV JR » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:41 pm

i have yet to take a valve out but can the pickup tube be replaced ? I dont see the difference you have the same restriction in the valve its a 5/16 and if you have the same bottle pressure how will the pickup tube change how much it can flow ?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:05 am

It makes a difference, so does flaring the tube end like Speedtech is doing on their bottles now. I've never had a high flow valve apart, but I assume it's like the super high flows and the tube is pressed in. You'd have to drill it out to make it use a bigger tube, or just remove it and turn the bottle upside down hehe.

My recommendation would be to to ahead and get the super high flow valves, they probably aren't necessary to move a 400 shot but you'll have a little better valve should you deceide to step up some more down the road.

bbc68nova

#5 Post by bbc68nova » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:02 am

Hay John ive changed valve on one of my bottles(skinney tall 10 pound from medical valve to high flow)
and the high flow valve has a flared pickup tube with a nut

John_Heard
Site Admin

#6 Post by John_Heard » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:23 am

That's the way that Cold Fusion bottle was setup, threaded inlet with a flare & nut on the tube. It had a copper line in it from the factory. I switched it out and made an aluminum tube for it. Wish I could remember how the Super High flow valves were setup, dang it I had one of those apart last year screwing around with it and can't remember what it looked like.