nitrous heaters????

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

doctor408

nitrous heaters????

#1 Post by doctor408 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:42 am

i need a good, durable, low maintence bottle heater.. i have read articles about the nitrosaurus rex. does anyone have one of these? it says just plug into a cig. lighter or wire it up directly to a 12v source, adjust the psi you want and it does the rest and keeps it to -1/+1 psi of the setting you have it on... let me know what you guys are using out there.
fastest street car ever streeted

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:31 am

Craig Watson on the board has one of those, I know he really likes his. I've seen it in action and it really is a nice setup.

I'm using a combination 12volt / 110vac heater made by Applied Racing Components - http://www.archeat.com/ which in my opinion is the king of traditional blanket style heaters. What's nice about this one is you can use your generator to heat the bottle vs running down your race car battery. More about heaters at http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/b ... aters.html

julven

#3 Post by julven » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:11 pm

If you buy a blanket style heater do like John and get the dual power source ones.We have to run a batter charger alot to keep a good battery.

doctor408

#4 Post by doctor408 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:39 pm

ok..thanx for those inputs..thats a good idea but it will be in a 100% street car. i dont have a gen. or a trailor..i wonder how much the nitroussaurce rex will draw my battery,,i may have to give them a call and find out a little more on them..

79 Camaro

#5 Post by 79 Camaro » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:33 pm

It only draws like 5 amps. Here is the web with the specs on it. :D I have not used mine yet but will this weekend. Very nice unit!

http://www.gotsqueeze.com/specs.htm

Adam
"THE THROTTLE IS THE DEVIL" By Mr. Willis
"ALL I SEEN WAS HOOD!" By Mr. Heard
MAKO RS-1979
Sponsored By:
Total Removal Contracting-Tim Rogers

Craig W.

#6 Post by Craig W. » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:49 pm

The Nitrousaurus-X is really the way to go for a street car or a dedicated drag car. You set the temperature you want the bottle at and it does the rest. If the bottle cools off, it kicks on and heats it back up. If the temp rises, it kicks on and cools it back off to the set temperature. It will keep it within +/- 1 degree of your set temperature.

So on the street, you can fire up the unit, set the temp you want and when its race time, you're ready to go.

Or at the track, it'll let you concentrate on other tasks between rounds and once you pull into the staging lanes, you don't have to worry if it takes a long time for you to get to the front of the line or if there is an oil-down. It'll keep the bottle right where you want it.

The amp draw is very low. Only 5 amps when its running and only .5 amps when its idling. At my Sept. race, we had some rain and a wreck. My car sat in the staging lanes for about an hour and a half with the Nitrousaurus-X runnnig. When it was time to fire it up, it cranked over without troubles as if nothing had been using battery power at all.

I've been using mine for about a year and a half now. I'm thoroughly convinced they are the way to go.

You can read my review at www.2quicknovas.com and then click on the Products Review link on the left.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

doctor408

#7 Post by doctor408 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:17 pm

.thanx for all the input, i will soon be ordering one...im convinced

Ron69SS

#8 Post by Ron69SS » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:17 am

This does sound like a nice product.
Since it keeps the bottle enclosed in a controlled environment, it needs less power to run.
One of the problems I see with a standard heater is heat transfer to the bottle. It has to be rather inneficient.
I also have a street car, no trialer or truck. And can see the battery being killed with the 12V heater. A 110v heater isn't practical, because I can't haul a generator along....or find a convient plug in at the track unless I get that perfect pit site.

So does this device mount in the trunk in a friendly way? Take up a bunch of space?

Ron
69 Nova, 498", 9.91 @ 133.63 with 4.10's
10.0's with the 3.73's, sometimes.
9.41 @ 143 with a 150 shot
Pump gas, NA, Driven to and from the strip

Craig W.

#9 Post by Craig W. » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:35 am

It has four molded in nuts on the bottom that have been pull tested to 1000 lbs each. So its very strong. You can easily fab up some simple brackets to mount in the car. Took me about 20 minutes with some 1" wide steel, my vice, a hammer and hand drill.

The bottom of the unit is flat so that you can set the proper angle, no matter what angle the floor of the car is. I just matched the angle I was using with regular bottle brackets.

As for its size, its 11 lbs and a Nova's truck is plenty big for it. I've got a pretty huge fuel cell in my car and fit the Nitrousaurus in there without trouble.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

John_Heard
Site Admin

#10 Post by John_Heard » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:38 am

Craig have you heard any news about a 15lb version?

Craig W.

#11 Post by Craig W. » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:59 pm

I asked Dennis about it a couple weeks ago. He said the additions to the product line are slated to be completed this winter and available before racing starts in the spring.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

John_Heard
Site Admin

#12 Post by John_Heard » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:12 pm

Cool, I'll wait on making a new bottle mount then.

julven

#13 Post by julven » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:14 pm

We are interested in a 15lbs also so when you hear please post.