Ring gap

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

Racer704

Re: Ring gap

#16 Post by Racer704 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:18 pm

SuperNova, not sure who gappless you ran or what they were top or 2nd ring.You do however need to have the tune up close for them to work so dyno time is well worth the money to tune your motor.I made 28hp more with Total Seal top ring stainless gappless rings.It allowed me to run more jet in my motor and so it made more power and more vacuum. Now i use about a.0095 to .010 figure on are bore with nitrous. With the gapless I needed to open it up even more .011 to help with the added expansion from the extra heat in the cyl. Alot of people also make the mistake of not filling the small rail for the gapless ring and that will hurt them also.

You may have done all of this and still had issues but i am just giving some ideas of maybe why you had problems.
Johnny B.

supernova

#17 Post by supernova » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:32 pm

Racer704 wrote:SuperNova your right with your ring gaps and I wont agrue the point, but he runs 100 now and on a 500 inch motor to add only 100 more he asked my opinion on pulling it apart and I said no if it were me i wouldnt. I didnt go into why and all about the second ring as he wasnt pulling it apart.His formula was correct for standard to modified N/A motor with most pistons and rings.

I have run 250hp in a 350 with stock bottom end for a whole season in a car and went thru 10 bottles of juice, but my reasons for leaving it alone are this.He stated that it was 4 years old with many runs so how much bore and or ring wear would you guess it has since it was new? I bet .001 to .002 at least so for every .001 of bore and ring wear the gap opens .003 so now he is in the .020's somewhere.So I would run it and see what happens as he has not had any issue with the 100 shot.
heres sometyhing to think about .007 is useds for nitrous and blower apps, but for how much nitrous? Its a good rule of thumb as i said but think of how much your going to run because depending on whos rings the spec can be .0055 to .007 so with that said lets do the middle say .006 X 4.32=.0259 so with the wear of the cyl. taken in to account we are only off maybe .003 at most and as I said above for only 100 more shot its worth the try.

Now if you are running a vacum pump then I would open the 2nd way up then and let the pump work, I have run up to .070 and yes it lets the gasses by and helps keep the top ring flutter down in the higher RPM's above 5000 plus .

Snova i am not trying to get into a pissing contest with you but you said you had to chime in Sir so I had to explain my self in detail so you see why I said what i did.Now this in no way is me taking any shots at you sir and i hope you dont read it as such and if you have seen any of my posts on this board you know that then.

Take Care
In no way do I take offence. I went back and read in detail the entire post as I did just gaze through it at first. Maybe I should read first!

This site has been lots of help to me and I was just trying to give some help back.

I have a 72 nova that runs 5.50s in the 1/8 and in the upper 120s mph on a 275x60x15 D.R tire and I have to say that this site has helped my car AND me get there.
I hope I didn't step on anyones toes.

Chat with a soon.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Racer704

#18 Post by Racer704 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:29 pm

My toes are fine Brother, I would never send someone down the wrong road as i hope after all the years i might be able to help someone save time and money.Wish i was around for me 30 plus years ago...lol Shit my hard ass head probally woyuldnt listen anyway...lolol

Take care
Johnny B.

Ron69SS

#19 Post by Ron69SS » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:39 am

Hey guys.
I stepped up to a 150 shot with no issues so far....well except for standing the car on the bumper, breaking the headers and ruining the pan.
Glad I didn't try 200 hp...as it turns out, Edelbrock never supplied the right jets for that. The packaging engineer, ok, part time associate put the wrong parts in the kit.
I've checked plugs after every run, all ok.
Obviously I can't see the rings or bores.
But as others have said, 150 is a whiff. The car sure doesn't think so.
Sorry to not pay attention to the post.

Ron
69 Nova, 498", 9.91 @ 133.63 with 4.10's
10.0's with the 3.73's, sometimes.
9.41 @ 143 with a 150 shot
Pump gas, NA, Driven to and from the strip