Setting Fuel pressure

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

Wrenh

Setting Fuel pressure

#1 Post by Wrenh » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:54 pm

how do you set the fuel pressure So you have the right flow

Oh yeah one more thing where could a find a chart or program that lets me set up jet size and Fuel pressure And what size fuel and Nos jets for what HP

Also if i have a kit that says adj from 150 250 can a go smaller then 150

Thanks alot for all the help

ytnova

#2 Post by ytnova » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:53 am

for setting the fuel pressure you are going to have to get a little creative, but the basic jist is you need to set the fuel pressure flowing. Depending on what kit you have, this can be a little bit of a pain. But for example, on a standard nos cheater kit I would turn off the bottle and puge the line. Then I would remove the fuel line from the plate after the selenoid and with a little creativity use a jet(carb or nitrous) equal to the fuel jet in the plate and install it in the line which then dumps into a spare gas can. Then with the motor off and the pump running I would activate the kit and read the fuel pressure. This is your flowing fuel pressure. Don't know what type of kit you have, so I am not going to recommend any settings, ask the manufacture. But you need to check the flowing pressure and reset it anytime you change the hp level of the plate.

wrench

#3 Post by wrench » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:49 pm

its a NOS cheater kit

ytnova

#4 Post by ytnova » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:29 am

Fuel pressure is still kinda vehicle or combanation specific, but with a cheater kit, I would start at 6 1/2 to 7 psi flowing with @900 psi bottle pressure. Make sure you check the fuel pressure on the kit as you make a pass. This will point out any problems with fuel delivery. A low fuel pressure cutoff switch is also a good idea. Tune the car on motor first before you start tuning on the kit, don't use fuel pressure on the nitrous as a crutch for a bad tune up on the motor. The type off fuel you run as well as bottle pressure will both affect the fuel pressure you need. Record the settings for how the car runs with the fuel pressure, bottle pressure, ignition timing, and type of fuel you use and then adjust from there. Remember, start small and safe(higher fuel pressure, lots a retard in the timing) and watch the plugs. Also a wide band o2 would help as far as finding the ideal tune up. Once you get a handle on it stepping the kit is no problem.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:46 am

Oh yeah one more thing where could a find a chart or program that lets me set up jet size and Fuel pressure And what size fuel and Nos jets for what HP
Here's what you need - Dave Koehler's Nitrous Master Program, I recommend it highly...
http://www.koehlerinjection.com/Koehler ... master.htm

Part of the reason to buy that software is Dave's help files that are included, there is a ton of good info in there that will help get you started in the right direction.

Maybe we can get Amature / Greg to post his "How to flow a kit" deal he wrote a while back - Greg you still got that ?

ytnova

#6 Post by ytnova » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:09 am

Yeah, reading it again, what I wrote might be a little confusing, I know how to do it, but it is a little hard to explain. Someone else might have a better way of explaining it. Going to have to look into that software also, always good to have some one else share their knowledge. Going to a fogger this year- thanks