crossbar plate and pro flow plate camparison

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

572 BBC

crossbar plate and pro flow plate camparison

#1 Post by 572 BBC » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:04 pm

what are thoughts of upgrading current big shot plate to the cross bar style? i like the pro flow style but hard to justify the almost 400 dollar price tag. also i think seeing as it is 1.250 tall that is probably why when tested gets a few more ponies.i dont know height of cross bar.i have dominator carb 4500...any thoughts?

chpcamaro

Re: crossbar plate and pro flow plate camparison

#2 Post by chpcamaro » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:46 pm

hey 572bbc
from what i have seen and read the cross bar works well on a dominator flange it seems to make a even spray in the intake for better distribution. the pro flow plate that you are talking about is it the one with burst panels if so this is just my 2 cents the burst panels are a very nice safety feature this is the same plate i will be running
rob
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:56 am

Have you maxed out the big shot plate yet? Why do you want a cross bar? Wanting to two stage it?

572 BBC

#4 Post by 572 BBC » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:25 am

no two stage,im happy with with the single stage right off transbrake...just courious about diffrent plates...it seems some think a plate is a plate...dont know.seems like most important thing with nitrous is bottle pressure,i need a bottle blanket and on ebay i seen a blanket kit with line pressure shut off sensor.im thinking that one will be a great way to set it and forget it

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:16 am

I don't know how good an idea it is to "Set it and forget it" even with automatic shutoffs, it's a VERY good idea to keep tabs on how much pressure you have in the bottle just in case something goes wrong. I know most bottles should have burst discs to prevent overpressure in case the switch sticks, but there have been a few cases where those didn't work for some reason or other.

Cross bar plates should have better distribution than the singles. Will they run faster than the single if the jettings is the same? I'd bet you wouldn't see 10-20 hp difference at best. If you have your tune up real close on the big shot and can tell that the distribution is starting to be an issue then yes the double cross should help some. But you are getting down to the nitty gritty there and won't see any big differences in most cases. The flow capacity of a double cross setup is typically far higher than a single bar plate, that's the main reason to step up to one when you've maxed out what you're doing, and/or want to two stage it.

572 BBC

#6 Post by 572 BBC » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:29 pm

thanks again for help john!!! 8-)