New higher power plate

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

1quickchevy2

Re: New higher power plate

#31 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:03 pm

Picks of the new fuel set up. A lil overkill but I don't wanna run outta fuel, and i'm setting everything up to only have to upgrade the motor in the future to go faster!
http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31 ... 020257.jpg
http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr31 ... 020258.jpg
Its setup to run the eliminator pump with the swap of the pump inlet fitting. The -12 pick up sits in a baffled sump at the front of the tank, than through the -12filter, and into a -12an to -10 orb fitting into my small (a1000) pump! than through a piece of stainless pipe to the -10an fitting on the outside of the tank. There's a -8 return to the sump, as well as a -8 rollover vent on the top of the tank. I'm using the aeromotive bypass regulator as well.

1quickchevy2

#32 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:25 pm

Got the Victor manifold installed today. I sat the nitrous plate and carb on top for shits and giggles! Here's a couple pics.
Last edited by 1quickchevy2 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HPDRIFTER

So, Explain to Me

#33 Post by HPDRIFTER » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:19 pm

Why you wouldn't loose some of the cooling effect by adding the charge farther down into the intake?

1quickchevy2

Re: So, Explain to Me

#34 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:56 pm

HPDRIFTER wrote:Why you wouldn't loose some of the cooling effect by adding the charge farther down into the intake?
I'm not sure of the question here? Can you rephrase it fo me? The more liquid nitrous that gets in the cylinder the better. It's more dense than in a gaseous state.

wikd69

#35 Post by wikd69 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:55 am

I only understand about half of what I'm reading, but one thing I am certain of is this: You guys are *scary*

I'm gonna keep my little huffer car away from you. :lol:
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: So, Explain to Me

#36 Post by John_Heard » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:20 am

HPDRIFTER wrote:Why you wouldn't loose some of the cooling effect by adding the charge farther down into the intake?
One of the benefits of the design is thought to be a reduction in "bounce back" of the nitrous / fuel charge when the intake valve is closed because it's got a straight shot down the port as compared to a fogger style nozzle. A similar concept is in use now on the plenum systems on tunnel rams for Pro Mods. It's typically the "big gun" on a multiple stage system. There are some other thoughts about not overcooling the fuel also, which is thought to help atomize it better. Cold fuel doesn't atomize as well.

1quickchevy2

#37 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:06 am

wikd69 wrote:I only understand about half of what I'm reading, but one thing I am certain of is this: You guys are *scary*

I don't know how I'm "scarry". I'm sure your "lil huffer car" is faster than my lil 'ol grandma car anyway! Guess i'll have to wait untill the spring to find out though. My nearest track doesn't open untill May 1st.

wikd69

#38 Post by wikd69 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:42 pm

1quickchevy2 wrote:
wikd69 wrote:I only understand about half of what I'm reading, but one thing I am certain of is this: You guys are *scary*

I don't know how I'm "scarry". I'm sure your "lil huffer car" is faster than my lil 'ol grandma car anyway! Guess i'll have to wait untill the spring to find out though. My nearest track doesn't open untill May 1st.
<laffin>

The whole approach, using something like a power plate (the one above is sure wicked looking) to add very large horsepower in stages is pretty spooky. Triggering a 250, 350 or 450 shot on demand could make for a real wildman ride. My little Camaro is pretty predictable and does the same thing every time you push the loud pedal. I had looked at a 67 Camaro originally that was (barely) street legal, running 9.40's on the motor (tall deck big block). The guy added a massive nitrous shot and pushed it down to 8.90 or so but took out both head gaskets in the doing. I guess it's the unpredictable nature of using the bottle that spooks me. I like the idea in concept but I guess I'm an old, old school guy. Yet another instance of separating the real racers from the hamburger chasers :smt003

Too bad about your track being closed for the winter - come on out to California - we race pretty much year round out here. In fact there's usually a big event on New Years day here at Sacramento Raceway.

Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack your thread with my spectator comments... :-)
Last edited by wikd69 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1quickchevy2

#39 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:09 pm

ah! haha, ya I see where your comming from now. I don't have a big tire car, so i'm using a progressive system to try and make it a bit more predictable. I know it'll kill some e.t., but so does spinning a bunch. Everything is new on myy car since i last raced it so its going to take lots of test & tunes to dial it in. Not only is the track season short, its a 300+ mile trip down a single lane hiway.

wikd69

#40 Post by wikd69 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:01 pm

1quickchevy2 wrote:ah! haha, ya I see where your comming from now. I don't have a big tire car, so i'm using a progressive system to try and make it a bit more predictable. I know it'll kill some e.t., but so does spinning a bunch. Everything is new on myy car since i last raced it so its going to take lots of test & tunes to dial it in. Not only is the track season short, its a 300+ mile trip down a single lane hiway.
Man, that sucks !!! Can't you guys find a local abandoned airstrip and get a group thing going ? It would'nt be like a full sanctioned track but you could mayhaps get some track time without it turning into a cross-country roadtrip... Geez, I'm embarrassed to say that my track is only 25 miles from my house. Gads...

And on the big-vs-small tire car. I run whatever I want, with no restrictions. Right now I'm using a wide set of Hoosiers at the track and it doesn't matter to anybody but me. I'm just there to collect time slips so it's really, really easy. If I had to compete like you (and others) do, it'd be alot harder. Takes a lot more finesse and skill to build and pilot something competitive, consistent and *fast*, following a rulebook, than it does to build and drive something that only delivers ET slips and hamburgers. So speed and ET are sort of a relative thing. I'm sure I could put the Camaro into the 9's without too much trouble but then it would'nt provide the other things I need and probably would'nt be near as much fun as it is now. But again, I'm not a racer, and this isn't a race car. While mine is quick, it's not competitive. *Huge* difference. And pretty shiny paint won't bring home prize money or Wallies at the track :smt003

This year I'll probably do some heads-up racing, but it'll be strictly bracket type run-what-ya-brung kind of stuff. Simple and easy and I'm not looking to be king of the hill. See, when ya make all these disclaimers and tell everybody you're not a real racer you don't have anything to live up to !!!! :smt003 :smt003 :thumb:

1quickchevy2

#41 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:46 pm

I'm not running in any classes yet either. To much of a commitment, to drive all that way every weekend. I'll be doing friday night street leagals, and run what ya brung events this year. Mostly chasing burgers like yourself, but I wanna be first in line!

1quickchevy2

#42 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:44 pm

Got the bottle mounted and a new blow down tube bent up to fit and existing hole.

vegaracer

#43 Post by vegaracer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:19 am

I like that bottle bracket
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146

1quickchevy2

#44 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:02 pm

Thanks vega, it's pretty handy, just two pins hold the bottle in, and the bottle part doubles as a handle to carry it around by

1quickchevy2

#45 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:12 pm

Did a lil more work on getting the solenoids mounted and lines ran today.

The last pic is pretty much all there is too it, besides having to run the fuel line from the front regulator to the fitting thats peeking out from behind the carb in the last pic!