Fuel plumbing

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

1quickchevy2

Fuel plumbing

#1 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:14 am

I know a seperate nitrous fuel system is best, but i'm wondering if any of you guys just run one big pump, and feed the motor and kit with it. If so, how do you recomend plumbing it? I'd like just to use one port of my fuel regulator to feed the carb fuel log, and the other to feed the fuel solenoid. I'm using an Aeromotive A1000 and Carb Bypass regulator p/n 13204. I know its not optimal because of lack of adjustment, but do any of you run it that way? Any advise or links are appriciated.

John_Heard
Site Admin

Re: Fuel plumbing

#2 Post by John_Heard » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:43 am

I run a single pump, an Aeromotive A2000 with the tank in the rear. It feeds up to the front with a -10 to a manifold with two nitrous, one carb regulator, and one bypass regulator on it. I use the APD bypass regulator to set the pump side pressure and return it to the the tank through a #8 bypass line. The bypass at the pump is plugged. I also have fuel bleeds on each fuel solenoid that return fuel through small nitrous jets and return that back to the tank through a #4 line.

Before I used a bypass regulator I had issues with the pump pressure dropping at launch, which I assume was due to g forces acting on the column of fuel in the #10 line, the bypass regulator and line solved that issue. This setup works very well and is quite stable. I monitor pump and regulator pressures using a data logger and it shows it to be working pretty darn good.

1quickchevy2

#3 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Thanks John, do you have a couple of pics to see how you have that layed out?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:47 am

I don't have any that really show the fuel log real well, this is probably the best one but you can't see the APD bypass regulator. It's at the end of the fuel log the regulators are mounted to.

1quickchevy2

#5 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:17 am

Wow thats a serious set up! I SPY a direct port kit with the WON crossfires and the spider plate! On the won solenoid do i see some sort of T fitting with one -6 inlet ans two -4 outs??? if so could i bug you for a part #, and does a -4an fit a holley jet in it? or is it a special fitting?? Sorry for all the questions but being this far north there isn't many pro's with all the tricks! There isn't even an engine rebuild shop for 500kms! At least with the fuel by pass it acts like a purge, ensuring quick fuel responce.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#6 Post by John_Heard » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:30 am

1quickchevy2 wrote:Wow thats a serious set up! I SPY a direct port kit with the WON crossfires and the spider plate! On the won solenoid do i see some sort of T fitting with one -6 inlet ans two -4 outs??? if so could i bug you for a part #, and does a -4an fit a holley jet in it? or is it a special fitting?? Sorry for all the questions but being this far north there isn't many pro's with all the tricks! There isn't even an engine rebuild shop for 500kms! At least with the fuel by pass it acts like a purge, ensuring quick fuel responce.
Those are the fuel bleeds, I don't have part numbers but what you're needing for the line is one with a #3 AN fitting on one end and a #4 on the other. The fittings are home made see -
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/fuelbleeds.html

Note: If you've got more than one bleed to plumb up I'd recommend using regular fittings at the solenoid and just use one jet holder / bleed restriction in the line going to the tank. That would be a little simplier to setup and not require as many bleed jets.

TubbedTruck67

#7 Post by TubbedTruck67 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:52 pm

John I think I know what Im going to do to fix my fuel system problem but if you could can you post a pic that focuses on your fuel log so I can look at it to see exactly how youve got the bypass regulator mounted. I think Im going to do it pretty much like yours but I may be able to use the reulator I have to do that but Im not sure yet. Sam

John_Heard
Site Admin

#8 Post by John_Heard » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:22 pm

The inlet is on the left of the photo, APD Bypass regulator mounted on the right end with stainless braided hose coming out.

TubbedTruck67

#9 Post by TubbedTruck67 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:39 pm

Thanks John thats what I needed to see. Something like that is what I need to make mine work how I had originally intended it to.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#10 Post by John_Heard » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:43 pm

I've really been pleased with that APD Bypass regulator, especially since it only cost $89

http://www.apdracing.com/fuelsystems.cfm

Note: If you get one of these you will probably have to shim the bypass spring to get up to the 28 lb range. A simple washer is all you have to use. I don't use the idle bypass features, those are plugged on mine.

TubbedTruck67

#11 Post by TubbedTruck67 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Cool thanks I think Ill try and shim the one I have now to work. If that doesnt work Ill buy that APD one. What are these idle bypasses your talking about it doesnt say anything about that in the description for it.

1quickchevy2

#12 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:10 pm

Wow great fuel log pic, thanks a million for the link and pic.

1quickchevy2

#13 Post by 1quickchevy2 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:20 pm

I was just looking up different fuel logs, and magnafuel sells complete kits with the air bleed fittings and return y fitting...... should have looked them up first before jumping at the aeromotive.. oops. Check this link out tubbed truck. http://www.magnafuel.com/products/kits/ ... -40-30.htm for the whole set up or
http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnafuel/665/MP-3110/10002/-1 if you just want the bleeds

I might just get a fuel log and use aeromotive regulators to supply the carb and kit, and a apd regulator on the return.

chpcamaro

#14 Post by chpcamaro » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:26 pm

not to get off the subject but john how is your gas pedal set up i was loking at the picture and i am like :scratch: i no understand lol being i need to move mine any pictures of it you could share
thank you
rob
best to date N/A 8.91@153
psca westcoast heads up racing open comp
67 Camaro RS/SS
BBC Powerglide 4800 stall 4.11 29.5x10.5W
http://www.chpdragracing.com

John_Heard
Site Admin

#15 Post by John_Heard » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:18 am

That's a Smith Racecraft Manual Linkage, they just started making them this year. It bolts to the stock location on the firewall.