Progressive controler

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

ytnova

Progressive controler

#1 Post by ytnova » Tue May 26, 2009 3:37 pm

I am thinking of trying something new and giving a progressive controller a shot. I only need to control one stage, but there are a few to choose from. Anybody had any issues with any of them? Any thought on which ones are better than others? The ones I am currently looking at are: NOS #15974, a NOS #15835b, and a Edelbrock #71900. Thanks in advance.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

silvanova

Re: Progressive controler

#2 Post by silvanova » Tue May 26, 2009 5:02 pm

We've got the edelbrock and it works pretty good. You running a fogger?
5.004 @142.6

Craig W.

#3 Post by Craig W. » Tue May 26, 2009 6:19 pm

I'm getting ready to start playing with a Cometic controller. I'll be writing a review when my testing is complete.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

ytnova

#4 Post by ytnova » Wed May 27, 2009 8:55 am

I looked into the cometic one before and I really like it, not to mention it was priced right. The only problem I have is that I don't own a laptop to program it. It is only "to buy" list, but so is everything else.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

Craig W.

#5 Post by Craig W. » Wed May 27, 2009 11:58 am

It has a lot of neat features. The data logging resolution isn't very fine, but its better than what little data logging I have now (7531 MSD).

I picked up a couple cheap laptops off of Ebay and put them together to make one useable one. I don't run anything on it but the MSD software and now the Cometic software. Its never on the internet. So it does well for very little money.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

supernova

#6 Post by supernova » Wed May 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Hey Craig,
Are you using the Nox Box 2 and can you give use a run down on it's features.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

Craig W.

#7 Post by Craig W. » Thu May 28, 2009 6:38 am

Yes, that's the one.

It has individual ramp curves for two stages, time or rpm based curves, some very basic data logging from standard 5v sensors, delays and lockouts for each stage, you can set it to reset or return to the curve if you have to pedal, very easy to understand software, wiring looks simple...I'm forgetting some stuff I'm sure. If it works like it should, it'll be a great buy at about $256.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

71Hellride

#8 Post by 71Hellride » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:28 am

Craig W. wrote:Yes, that's the one.

It has individual ramp curves for two stages, time or rpm based curves, some very basic data logging from standard 5v sensors, delays and lockouts for each stage, you can set it to reset or return to the curve if you have to pedal, very easy to understand software, wiring looks simple...I'm forgetting some stuff I'm sure. If it works like it should, it'll be a great buy at about $256.
Hey craig i was wondering if you had gotten to do any testing at all with it. Also I was wondering if the 5v sensors could be used to log the air/fuel ratio. Sounds like a good but was really wanting to know if everything opperated smoothly. My old progressive quit the other night and I need a new one asap. Thanks for any help craig, have a good day.

Craig W.

#9 Post by Craig W. » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:26 pm

No testing yet. I'm getting a real late start this season. Lots of other stuff going on.

Yes, it'll log a/f ratio from wide band O2. You'd need a Daytona box to condition the signal.

I'll have some initial results weekend after next.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

Craig W.

#10 Post by Craig W. » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:31 pm

I finally got to the track last night, so I can give you my first impressions of the Cometic progressive controller.

I like it! Super easy to program, the software is easy to setup and get talking to the box, it works very smoothly and didn't even mind being mounted fairly close to my 7531 box.

I started out really conservative with the ramp...30% to 100% in 1.5 seconds on a 200 shot. Ran a 1.35 60' on a marginal track. So that was a good first impression.

Unfortunately I didn't get to test it out much more or fine tune the nitrous curve. I have some major handling problems due to bump steer right now and its just not drivable. So I'll be ordering some steering arms to fix that. The stock ones just aren't going to work with the Pinto rack.

I'll report back with further info on the Cometic Nox Box 2 in a couple weeks when I get back to the track. I'll be testing a much bigger shot and a more aggressive curve too.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

71Hellride

#11 Post by 71Hellride » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:40 pm

Great to hear it's working good. I have an edelbrock 71900 and it has given me nothing but problems. I might just have a bad one but nothing I do seems to help it. I'm very interested in the cometic but just don't want to have the interferance problems like the edelbrock. Let us know how it works the next time out.

Craig W.

#12 Post by Craig W. » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:47 pm

I have mine mounted on the bottom of the panel that the MSD box is mounted to. The MSD is in the glove box and the Cometic is on the bottom of that panel. No interference problems so far. I tried to keep all the wiring away from the MSD stuff, but they are sharing the same switched 12v junction block and they ground to the engine block at the same spot.

At $250, I think its going to be a successful product.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

71Hellride

#13 Post by 71Hellride » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:56 pm

Sounds great craig. If I get my box and wiring any farther any from the msd I'm going to be dragging the progressive down the track lol. That was my main concern with the cometic. Thanks man.

Craig W.

#14 Post by Craig W. » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:48 pm

I mounted it close to the MSD partly for the purpose of testing interference problems and partly because it was the easiest place to put it. I'm glad it worked.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

Craig W.

#15 Post by Craig W. » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:30 am

I finally got back to the track last weekend for some more playing with the Cometic progressive controller. I'm still very impressed with it. You don't even know its there, except for the good 60' times on a freshly scraped track. Not much rubber down at all and it ran easy 1.33s on the 8.5" slicks. I think it could have done a little better if I had wanted to get more aggressive with the nitrous curve. With more rubber down, I'm pretty sure I can beat my best of 1.29 without much trouble.

No hiccups or malfunctions at all. No problem getting the laptop to talk to it. No interference problems. The computer program hasn't glitched either. So no complaints from me at all.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts