Fuel safety switch

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

99camaro

Fuel safety switch

#1 Post by 99camaro » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:15 pm

Would there be any reason not to use a low fuel safety switch with nitrous?

71Hellride

Re: Fuel safety switch

#2 Post by 71Hellride » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:35 pm

Yes, A lot of guys say that the will open and close the circuit for no reason, so it makes your nitrous go on and off all down the track. I've never ran one and have never had a problem.

99camaro

#3 Post by 99camaro » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Thanks
I have heard that too, and I have never seen any on a pro mod car or big nitrous set-up.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:40 am

They are typically not recommended due to the problems mentioned above, if you're looking to detect fuel pump failure, you can put one in the high pressure side of the pump where it's less likely to see as much pressure variation.

sc racing

#5 Post by sc racing » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:38 am

John_Heard wrote:They are typically not recommended due to the problems mentioned above, if you're looking to detect fuel pump failure, you can put one in the high pressure side of the pump where it's less likely to see as much pressure variation.
How would you put it in this way. I thought you set it for a low reading,lets say 4lbs and if the pressure dropped to that it would cut power to the nitrous system. Im hooking up a plate system for someone and was going to put it in "the old way" but I dont want it to be the cause of a problem.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#6 Post by John_Heard » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:15 am

You would typically need a higher pressure switch that would correspond to the pressures on the high side of the pump which won't fluctuate as much. After the regulator, or low side, it will have an initial drop when the kit hits which can make the switch go on and off. Also the switches can be flaky at times giving you fits trying to figure out what's going on. I don't run one on my car but I do use a data logger to monitor what's going on and that will tell you if you're having fuel deliver problems, it won't catch problems like a piece of shit in the solenoid or jet/s and neither will the low pressure switch.

sc racing

#7 Post by sc racing » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks John, am I better off just not putting it in at all. Its just a street car with an Edelbrock plate kit.