We stumble on to something!!!!! No bottle heaters

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

supernova

We stumble on to something!!!!! No bottle heaters

#1 Post by supernova » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:48 am

Two friends and I have stumble on to something that we have now tested as of last night at the season opener for pro Mods here in Texas. It may take more testing but it looks like it will work.....

No bottle heaters....Thats right!!!!!! The no bottle heater theory.

What we have been working on is a new way to run nitrous with out a bottle heater. I with my friends have never liked useing bottler heaters to build pressure. I also hate see racing racers useing torches to heat they're bottles. A BAD IDEA!!!!!!

This is what we did:
Before heading out to the track last night we had the bottles filled as usual. Instead of racking them in the trailer we put them in ice chests full of ice. Yes full of ice. I bet your wondering why at this point? Well this is what we have learned while we've been working on the theory of heat and pressure. Everyone knows that if you heat a bottle the pressure goes up. The only way for it to go now is down which is what happens when the nitrous system is activated. So how do you get the pressure to rise or maintain pressure. In your case we got it maintain pressure all the way down the track from start to finish. The pruf is in the data logger. And if you can at least maintain pressure the motor will like the tune up better..

Here it is. The bottle pressure when filled was aprox. 1150-1200 psi. After about 2 hrs in the ice the pressure was approx 800 psi. We noticed that after taking the bottle out of the ice bath that as it warmed up the pressure went up... Hmmmmmmm Until last night we worn't sure if it would work but we gave it a try.....
Tuned for the bottle pressure and to the staging lanes we went. By the time the car went down the track the data logger regestered 850 psi and at the end of the track after running the nitrous all the way down it regestered 850 psi. We tuned for the temp raise on the next pass and got closer to the pressure range of the actual bottle pressure... With out changing the nitrous system other than tuning for the bottle pressure, the et was .10 + faster and after 4 passes the car showed to be more consistant then before at all incrementals.

There will have to be a lot more testing and the no bottle heater theory is just the idea of some low dallor drag racer's trying to find a better way to go fast..
I wouldn't say go out and try it like we have just yet. It was in the 50's last night and we have no clue what will happen in the middle of sunner in a 100* weather. I'm sure the bottles will warm up a lot faster in the summer. We are going to continue to test and collect data as the season heads into summer.

Stayed tuned for more info.
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

camaroman9

Re: We stumble on to something!!!!! No bottle heaters

#2 Post by camaroman9 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:02 am

Hmm..keep us updated on this one!
C&S carbureted 388 SBC, PT106, TH400, e85
http://www.timsbodyandglass.com
Special thanks to:
Bentune Performance & Fabrication (417)483-5584
Performance Coatings + (417)439-0546
C&R Transmission (417)736-2191

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:16 am

What did the pressure drop to when the system was flowing down track?

Craig W.

#4 Post by Craig W. » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:32 am

Will you be using a fresh bottle for each run?

How much did you change the jetting to make up for the low bottle pressure?
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

supernova

#5 Post by supernova » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:27 am

John_Heard wrote:What did the pressure drop to when the system was flowing down track?
the pressure droped considerble on the first hit cause the pressure was low to start with. As we allowed the temp to come up the pressure came up to a good level around 950 psi on the 2nd run. The pressure drop was I think around 45 on the initail activatoin of the system and then leveled off. The last 2 hits is when it ran the best and pressure was closer to 1000 psi and had less pressure drop. We use 15 lbs bottles and are getting 2 passes of them on one fogger. The car has run 4.44-4.45 consistantly and it ran this weekend 4.32 and was in the 4.30s all night.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#6 Post by John_Heard » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:19 am

Chris you're confusing me....

You said you were soaking them in ice water (40 degrees or so?) so after equalization, psi should have been something around 500psi or so. Then you're saying 950 /1000 psi, which is around 85 - 90 degrees. This time of year I know it's not that hot down there, so how did the bottle psi get up that high without heating them? Even if you let them get up to 60 -70 degrees sitting out in the open air, that's still only like 650-700 psi.

The numbers just don't add up??

supernova

#7 Post by supernova » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:59 am

John_Heard wrote:Chris you're confusing me....

You said you were soaking them in ice water (40 degrees or so?) so after equalization, psi should have been something around 500psi or so. Then you're saying 950 /1000 psi, which is around 85 - 90 degrees. This time of year I know it's not that hot down there, so how did the bottle psi get up that high without heating them? Even if you let them get up to 60 -70 degrees sitting out in the open air, that's still only like 650-700 psi.

The numbers just don't add up??
your right the #'s don't add up. I forgot that the bottle heater was turned on to build pressure because of the cool weather. What we're trying to do is run the car as the pressure is on the rise instead of reaching max pressure and purging down to race pressure. I know no bottle heater we're trying this out as testing to see of we can get the pressure to maintain or build durring the run instead of dropping. This is instead of running a pusher or Nano system. What the hell we maybe on to something worth doing. Catch the pressure going up instead of going down.
There is a lot of detail left off. I know I'm not the best explain're so bear with me.

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#8 Post by John_Heard » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Well it sounds interesting, confusing, but interesting... Keep us in the loop.

evil16v

#9 Post by evil16v » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:53 pm

subscription set.
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

supernova

#10 Post by supernova » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:15 pm

evil16v wrote:subscription set.

??????

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

new wt. 3340 lbs

evil16v

#11 Post by evil16v » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:58 pm

supernova wrote:
evil16v wrote:subscription set.

??????
Under the 'New Post' button there is another button called 'subscribe topic ' click on it and you will receive updates on the current topic..... or if you post you get them anyway.

You're post caught my attention. A very obvious and simple solution to an age old problem.

There are a bunch of guys around here that run the NANO Pressure assist. Seems like to much trouble to me.
Rob
'70 GS Stage 1, 466 BBB, 11:1,wiesco pistons, stock rod, ported Edelbrock heads, 1.55 rollers, single plain intake, 950 Quickfuel, aeromotive ss pump, TH400, 9" PTC converter, 3.90 12bolt, NOS Mini, NX Single entry Crossbar

sunsation540

#12 Post by sunsation540 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:36 pm

if you want to do something like this, take the n2o bottles to a scuba shop and have them pressure filled to 1100 @ 70* then chill the bottles down to 50 and you should have around 900, as the bottle temp rises so will the pressure however @100 deg you will loose the bottles as the pressure caps go off!! 1400...just rember if the bottle is filled with liquid it has less ability to recover from volume loss, solid going to a gas,= vapor pressure,, keep us posted i like out of the box thinking
make a plan and stick to it !!