Manifold holes for nitrous

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

thurgar

Manifold holes for nitrous

#1 Post by thurgar » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:04 am

Could someone please advise me about the best position and angle to drill and tap this manifold for 1 & 2 stage pro race fogger nozzel setup?.
Appreciate the help :thumb:
Rodney
http://www.trickflow.com/largeimage.asp ... S-54494000
Last edited by thurgar on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Koehler

Re: Manifold holes for nitrous

#2 Post by Dave Koehler » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:57 pm

Perfection normally not possible. Eyeball the deal and see if you can get the lines to clear the valve covers, carb accessories, etc. Position is usually as low as you can get it on the manifold. 1 inch from the flange is the norm if no interfence issues pop up. Angle: Spray some fluid through the nozzle so you can see how it works. Brake clean will do. Aim the nozzle at the back of the valve the best you can.
It's all a compromise so don't get all shook if you don't meet perfection. It all gets there anyway despite our best efforts to direct the stream.
Dave Koehler
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Master Software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know you are in a hurry"

thurgar

#3 Post by thurgar » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:13 am

Thanks for the reply Dave.
I am not looking for perfection.......Just want it right. 8-)
I have fixed the above link to the manifold in question. As you can see it is a ford BB manifold and there is nos bosses up high on the leg of the manifold. Also in the pic you can see the bosses down low that are for the fuel injection.
Can i use the fuel injection bosses for nos injection or are they to close to the cylinder head??? You couldnt aim it any closer to the back of the valve than that i think. 8-)
Also as i may be wanting to run a second stage would i be best to have the first at the top or at the bottom or does it not really matter????? :?:
I am waiting to hear from Trickflow on there opinion on the matter but thought it better to get some advice from people who actually use these systems. :thumb:

Cheers for the advice
Rodney

Dave Koehler

#4 Post by Dave Koehler » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Those manifolds are thick enough that you can put them anywhere your want. The bottom bosses look to be vertical so it was probably put there for EFI injectors but it looks perfect for a straight shot annular nozzle.
Dave Koehler
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Master Software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know you are in a hurry"

HPDRIFTER

#5 Post by HPDRIFTER » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:49 pm

I've found that it's helpful to clamp one side of a 90* manifold to the table of a drill press. This puts
the other side perpendicular to the spindle of the drill, making it easier to get the holes straight.

I've also learned to cut a long piece of cardboard the width of the port, then cut most of it exactly
1/2 of that width. You can place the full width portion into the port and carefully bend the 1/2 width portion
around the flange and over the outside of the runner to mark the center of the port on the outside.

Be careful when you tap the first hole, checking often until you get the depth just where you want it. Note
how deep the tap is into the material. You can use that as a reference to tap the remaining holes. A good
chamfer on the hole will help you get the 1/8 NPT tap started easier.

Good luck. And remember: If I can do it, anyone can.