Regulator issues

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

Bruce69Camaro

Regulator issues

#1 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:35 am

I got a new Holley blue pump and regulator, I believe back in Jan. 2014.

This pump/ regulator was bought to supply fuel to my NOS system. The motor has a separate pump.

I'm having issues regulating down the regulator to 5.5 psi. At 7 psi, the needle on my gauge is solid, but when I start to lower the pressure, around 6 psi, the needle starts to bounce and you can hear a chattering noise in the regulator.

I tried backing out the adjuster nut and then tightening it back up, but it still does the same thing.

My test setup consists of, at the regulator, one line goes to the plate, at the other outlet, it goes into a 1/4" shutoff valve, then I have a "T" assembly with the one port going into a section of braided steel line and into a 4", low pressure gauge. Then the fuel exits through a .073" orifice and into some 3/8" line which goes into a fuel jug.

If you need to know, I test this without the motor running, just the fuel pump running.

The pump sounds good.

My coworker is thinking we could raise the pressure until it is steady and then lower the size of the fuel jet.

The plan is to only run up to 150.

According to what Holley states, this regulator is good from 4.5 - 9.0 psi.

I sent a message to Holley but have not heard back yet.

Any thoughts?
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

supernova

Re: Regulator issues

#2 Post by supernova » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:09 am

Put a bleed on it!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/fuelbleeds.html

I run my N2O fuel system on 6.25 psi. I also use this to help set-up.......Nitrous Master
http://www.koehlerinjection.com/nitrous ... tware.html
Blackhoodmafia!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1972 Nova SS
572 C.I. BBC

Best to date: 1/8
et: 5.28
mph: 134
new wt. 3340 lbs

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:29 am

You are testing the pressure with the valve open correct? Fuel is going through the 73 jet when you're getting the bouncing on the fuel psi? Or when you have the valve shut?

Bruce69Camaro

#4 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:16 am

Yes, I'm flowing fuel from the cell, through the .073" orifice and into my fuel jug.

Let me ask this, do it matter where the .073" orifice is located, before or after the gauge?

I'll describe my test setup, right after the regulator, I have a 1/4" ball valve, then I have a 1/4" nipple which goes into a 1/4" tee. The leg of this tee goes into a piece of braided steel line and then into a Wiki 4" gauge. At the run part of the tee, I have a 3/8" compression x 1/4" npt male fitting. In this fitting, I tapped 1/8" npt threads and inserted an orifice which is drill at .073", from there a section of 3/8" aluminum line goes into the fuel jug.

This is how I was instructed to make this setup?

My coworker and Holley agree to run my regulator at a pressure where the needle is solid and then run a smaller fuel jet.

Holley also said I could run a bypass like what John illustrated by my thing is, is it chattering when I open the solenoid and am I making this a bigger issue than what it really is?

I guess being a NOS rookie may be causing me more concerns that what things really are....I just don't want things to go BOOM!
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

John_Heard
Site Admin

#5 Post by John_Heard » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:48 am

Sounds like you have your gauge setup ok, I use a 073 nitrous jet, but a drilled hole should be reasonable close, probably doesn't flow quite as much as the jet though. The jet should be down stream/after the gauge.

I wonder what regulator you have, what's the PN? Maybe you've got the low pressure one or something. You have another regulator you can try? 12-803 is the one you want.

Bruce69Camaro

#6 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:53 am

It's the 12-803 (4.5-9) that came with the Holley blue pump.

I was thinking about trying the one off of my motor, system and see if the same thing happens and if not, just switch the regulators around since I run my motor at 6.5 psi.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#7 Post by John_Heard » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:20 pm

I think it's worth a try to see if the other regulator does that. I would not expect a 12-803 to chatter like that flowing at that pressure with the bleed jet flowing.

Bruce69Camaro

#8 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:59 pm

Here is a quote from Holley, "The other possible is still a normal dead head design and trying to hold back too much volume/ lower the pressure it over comes the regulator spring and chatters the ball in the seat."

They also asked me to check if the check valve in the pump is binding or sticking and the pressure is pulsing out of the pump.

I wouldn't think this would be an issues since the needle is solid at high pressure and maybe I'm wrong about this but if the check valve was binding or sticking, wouldn't this condition be at all pressures?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#9 Post by John_Heard » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Too bad you have your ball valve before your gauge, if it was after the gauge (downstream) you could shut the valve and see how much pressure the pump is putting out. Maybe that pressure relief valve in the pump itself is sticking.

https://ac17cb7e3cc3506f0d23-7386afb7d6 ... -3rev6.pdf

Instructions show how to remove the relief valve, wouldn't hurt to take a look at it.

ytnova

#10 Post by ytnova » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:43 pm

I think you are heading in the right direction, but if it does it with both regulators, any chance you could be sucking air in on the inlet side of the pump?
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.