fuel evaporation

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

drummondracing
Location: Colonial Beach VA If I am not at home or the track then I am probably at HOOTERS

fuel evaporation

#1 Post by drummondracing » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:42 pm

Hi everyone, Does anyone out there have problem with fuel evaporating out of there fuel cell while there cars are in the trailer? I have a regular plastic vented fuel cell and run either 110 or 112. a couple of racers at my track say they are having a problem too. and my trailer always smells like fuel really bad the entire fuel system is bone dry no leaks.
74 chevy luv 355 sbc bracket car
70 Nova SS bracket / t.n.t car.
(Yes REAL SS 396 DISCS 12B0LT ETC)

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE 68-74 NOVAS

TOO MUCH IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mytmouz

#2 Post by mytmouz » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:24 am

Yes. Especially if the tank is vented. I found out the hard way though not to cap the vent. It will condensate in the tank. I have a 6 An fitting with a cap on the unused side of one of my nitrous regulators. I uncap it and hook a short piece of braided line to mine and run it back into my fuel jug if it's going to be a while between races. I put the jug in an outbuilding that has no utilities run to it to keep it out of the sun to slow down the evaporation. I also use a dark jug for the same reason. The higher the fuel prices go, the more I find myself emptying the fuel cell.
Trucks are for haulin...

John_Heard
Site Admin

#3 Post by John_Heard » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:13 am

Just a note, emptying your fuel cell may not be a good idea if you have foam in it. I think that's what caused mine to deteriorate last year and start plugging up my filter. I drained the tank last winter and the foam dried up. If you're running foam I believe it might be a good idea to keep it covered with fuel as much as possible.

MOOSE

#4 Post by MOOSE » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:47 am

Don't know if anybody is interested but when i store my car I usually fill up the cell with regular pump gas and some marvel mystery oil. I let it set in there all winter and circulate it a couple of times through out the winter. It keeps the rubbers and seals fresh on my pump and keeps the hoses from drying out. At the start of the racing season I flush the system with fresh pump gas three or four times and then put the race gas back in.

Another note- You guy's that run alot of compression and nitrous. If you run something like VP C-16 it deteriates very quickly. Try not to use left over fuel from the last race. If you can afford it always empty the cell of fuel from last race and use fresh. It makes a difference believe me.

MOOSE

mytmouz

#5 Post by mytmouz » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:46 am

OOPS! I forgot to say, no foam in mine for the same reason Beyond.
Trucks are for haulin...

drummondracing
Location: Colonial Beach VA If I am not at home or the track then I am probably at HOOTERS

fuel evaporation

#6 Post by drummondracing » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:53 am

no foam in mine either.
74 chevy luv 355 sbc bracket car
70 Nova SS bracket / t.n.t car.
(Yes REAL SS 396 DISCS 12B0LT ETC)

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE 68-74 NOVAS

TOO MUCH IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Racer704

#7 Post by Racer704 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:55 pm

One more thing you should always look for is any residue in the bottom of your fuel jug, this is the fuel seperating and will cause lots of problems with your motor. Dont use it to race with, I save it for my Harley and get a nice smell at the stop lights. Oh yeah it a turbo Harley also and with 14 lbs of boost it seems to work fine. But dont use it in your nitroused motors it will burn a piston quick. I saw Steve Johnson burn a few motors up from bad gas from a fresh drum back in the mid 90's.
Johnny B.