Plate system suggestions....

General Nitrous Discussion

Moderator: John_Heard

1320quick

Plate system suggestions....

#1 Post by 1320quick » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:46 pm

Hey Guys, Looking for recommendations on a new nitrous plate system. I've got a small tire (28x10.5 ET drag), stock suspension 71 Nova. We race mostly heads up in Colorado where most days the density altidute is over 8000ft. The car has a 540ci BBC, T400 and 3.90 gear. I currently have a Nitrous Works single stage 125-300hp adjustable plate system. Car has run a quick at 9.52 with a 250shot. No progressive or timing controllers on the car, just a RPM window switch and WOT switch for nitrous activation. When I try to spray a 300 shot, car spins hard. I'm thinking about upgrading to a two-stage nitrous plate system. My thought was with a two-stage system, I could spray it with a smaller shot off the line for better traction and then apply a second stage for more power down track. Does that sound like it would work? If so, any recommendations on a system? I've been looking at the Speedtech two-stage kits with the diffuser radial spray plate and the Wilson Pro Flow two-stage kits. Any comments on either of these kits or suggestions on other system to look at?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:09 pm

There's a number of different ways of getting where you want to go. Both of those plates are supposed to be pretty good, personally I like the Wilson the best myself but have not used either one.

You could also experiment with a progressive controller with the single stage plate, or use one of the newer electronic ignitions like the digital 7 series to take extra timing out at launch.

Another trick that some have used is to lengthen the lines on the plate to soften the hit up some, you might see a difference doing that with your current system but I don't know if that would soften it enough to use the 300 shot.

1320quick

#3 Post by 1320quick » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:06 pm

Beyond wrote:There's a number of different ways of getting where you want to go. Both of those plates are supposed to be pretty good, personally I like the Wilson the best myself but have not used either one.

You could also experiment with a progressive controller with the single stage plate, or use one of the newer electronic ignitions like the digital 7 series to take extra timing out at launch.

Another trick that some have used is to lengthen the lines on the plate to soften the hit up some, you might see a difference doing that with your current system but I don't know if that would soften it enough to use the 300 shot.
I'm not a big fan of progressive controllers. I've heard they are very hard on solenoids. I may try a digital box as well. I'm wanting to spray a lot more than the 300 shot. I'd like to leave on a 200-250 shot and then bring on a 400-500hp shot with a timer as soon as the car will hook it. I need to find about another 1/2 second this year to stay competive in my heads up class.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:21 pm

If you're wanting to spray that much then yeah you're probably going to need to use a multistage setup of some sort if you're using a conventional nitrous system. Most of the guys around here use a fogger and a plate on timers, but a number have started using a progressive in addition to the multistage setup.

1320quick

#5 Post by 1320quick » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:15 pm

Beyond wrote:If you're wanting to spray that much then yeah you're probably going to need to use a multistage setup of some sort if you're using a conventional nitrous system. Most of the guys around here use a fogger and a plate on timers, but a number have started using a progressive in addition to the multistage setup.
I'm limited to either a single stage fogger or a two-stage plate system for the class that I race. Do you use a progressive controller for your setup? What kind of luck have you had with that?

John_Heard
Site Admin

#6 Post by John_Heard » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:32 pm

I used a progressive fogger type setup along with an old big shot plate last year. Next year it'll probably be just the progressive fogger with larger solenoids. I really like the setup so far, it's a very smooth hitting system.

ccjohn2

#7 Post by ccjohn2 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:43 pm

On my car I've been using the DigiSet timer and longer -3 lines (12") from the solenoids to the plate to calm down the hit and hook the car. I'm shooting 225hp and I've got the timer set at .8sec after the trans brake is released. So in a sense I'm leaving on motor and having the nitrous come on at or just after the 60' timer. The longer lines make for a gradual application of the power. The only thing with the timer is that once you lift it takes .8sec for the nitrous to come back on if you pedal the car, I guess that could be a good thing, too.

CJay
WISDOM IS USUALLY ASSOCIATED WITH OLD AGE BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE OLD TO BE WISE.

Racer704

#8 Post by Racer704 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:34 pm

1320 Progressives are hard on most solinoids but not the ones that are made to pulse and it will be a softer hit and more adjustable over anything else at more tracks.If you would like some help let me know..
Johnny B.