Add a 2-step or 3-step??

General Gauges, Wiring, Ignition..

Moderator: John_Heard

maydayneal

Add a 2-step or 3-step??

#1 Post by maydayneal » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:13 pm

My Nova currently has a MSD-6AL.....which if I understand correctly....has a "controllable" rev limiter to protect the engine. I want to add the ability to control the RPM during both the burn out and the trans brake launch. So I've been reading the MSD stuff and I'm a bit confused on if I add a 2-step or the 3-step. I think it is the 3-step so that I have the ability to set seperate RPMs for the line lock and brake....those being controled by step1 & 3.....the other (step2) is active when no voltage is applied to 1 or 3....which seems to be redundant to what the 6AL does....so that is what confuses me.

Lots to learn...but I learn quickly....

thanks!
Mayday (aka Neal)

rusty

Re: Add a 2-step or 3-step??

#2 Post by rusty » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:53 pm

Neal, if you are wanting to limit burn out, launch and topend rpm, then you'll need the 3-step. the 3-step plugs in to the 6al instead of the rpm module then three modules plug in the the 3-step box. wire one trigger into the line-lock, and the other trigger wire in to the trans brake button and the topend limiter is active when the other two are not.

maydayneal

#3 Post by maydayneal » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:32 am

Got it!.....the 3step plugs in where the 6AL modulator is now.....thats the piece I was missing....makes perfect sense.

Now again...not having the experience....is it common to control all 3 seperately?.....or I guess some just use the 2step and wire the line lock and the transbrake to the same RPM limiter??....my thinking there is if I want to leave on the trans brake at about 5800....that would be ok for the limit on the burn out to (line lock).

Thoughts?
Mayday (aka Neal)

vegaracer

#4 Post by vegaracer » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:13 pm

If you wanted to use the same module for both the transbrake and the burn-out rev limiter, then you will need a toggle switch in line with the trans-brake circuit so that you can turn the transbrake on or off. But if thats the case, it would easier to use a 3-step. JMO
Feenstra's Towing

1973 Vega
434 SBC, N.A.
Powerglide
9.01 @ 146