trunk mounted battery wiring

General Gauges, Wiring, Ignition..

Moderator: John_Heard

DriveWFO

trunk mounted battery wiring

#1 Post by DriveWFO » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:51 pm

Ok, I wired up my battery, Summit solenoid and cut-off switch. I only get power to the dash, headlights, etc when I turn the key to the "start" position. The starter also does nothing. I followed the diagram from Craig's site. My solenoid from Summit has 1 large & 1 small pole per side. My cut-off switch as 2 large poles. Will this diagram work correctly for my setup???

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:00 am

The diagram will work, but are you saying you hooked it up like this and it's not wanting to start? There is a wire missing from the diagram, it's the wire that used to go to the engine starter solenoid which now has to go to the trunk to your Ford starter solenoid coil stud.

DriveWFO

#3 Post by DriveWFO » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:22 am

When I began, there were 3 wires connected to my GM solenoid: The battery 12V cable was connected to the large stud. The 12V wire to the alternator was also connected to that large stud. The small "R" stud was connected to a wire that supplied the car with 12V power for accessories, etc.

I installed a jumper plate that connects the large stud on the GM solenoid to the small "R" stud on the GM solenoid. From the large stud on the GM solenoid, I'm running the battery cable back to the "cold" side of the Ford solenoid in the trunk. I ran a new 12V wire from the alternator back to the "hot" side of the Ford solenoid. I spliced a 12V wire from the old 12V accessory wire back to the cut-off switch (that wire used to be connected to the "R" stud on the GM solenoid). I ran a wire from the other side of the cut-off switch to the "hot" side of the Ford solenoid. I ran the 12V cable from the battery to the "hot" side of the Ford solenoid. Lastly, I connected the (-) battery cable to the frame.

I'm using this solenoid from Summit:

DriveWFO

#4 Post by DriveWFO » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:54 am

John, you were right. I got it working now. HUGE THANKS!!! :)