Brakelight Question

General Gauges, Wiring, Ignition..

Moderator: John_Heard

JRF

Brakelight Question

#1 Post by JRF » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:01 pm

I have a 67 chevelle. It has a different steering column than the stock one and no wires running to the column. I want to run brakelights. So I ran a wire from the battery to a inline fuse, then to the brake switch above the petal. Then a wire to my brake lights. This is not working, it blows the fuse. Anyone have any ideas? Can I just hook up a toggle switch to run brakelights?

Bruce69Camaro

Re: Brakelight Question

#2 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:42 am

First, what amp fuse are you using?

Second, if the amp size is ok, then it sounds like you got a short somewhere. Follow from the battery to the switch and make sure that path is fine. Then from the switch back to the tail lights and make sure that path is fine.

Also while your at it, make sure the lights are grounded properly.

If that checks out ok, it may be your switch?

I would not advise using a toggle switch for a brake light switch, use the factory setup.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch:

JRF

#3 Post by JRF » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:16 pm

The amp of the fuse is 20. This car has been a race car most of its life. It has no factory wiring. The steering column look to be out of a street rod or race column. I would like to find the best way to wire brake lights to occasinally drive it to work, which is 6 miles of backroad. I an titled and licened. We dont have state inspection here in OK, but to be safe ai still need brakelights. I dont really want to swap out the column. I just need to figure out a way to have brakelights. Thanks.

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:37 am

The way you had it wired sounded correct, but apparently there is a short somewhere. Might want to trace the circuit to see if you can find anything. If you pull the bulbs out does it blow the fuse?

Bruce69Camaro

#5 Post by Bruce69Camaro » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:20 am

Here's a question for you, is the socket for the brake lights the correct one? It should have three wires coming off of it, one for the brake circuit, one for the running light and one is a ground.

If the socket only has two wires, it's the wrong one.
Those who think they know it all have no way of finding out they don't......... :scratch: