LQ9 Engine Swap with Factory EFI and MSD Three Step

General Gauges, Wiring, Ignition..

Moderator: John_Heard

Ls7camaro

LQ9 Engine Swap with Factory EFI and MSD Three Step

#1 Post by Ls7camaro » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:05 am

Ok, I am putting an LQ9 into a 1975 Camaro, I want to keep the fuel injection and all that. I am replacing a 406sbc, MSD, MSD 3 step, powerglide, transbrake, and dedenbear box. Now, I will be honest and state, I know didly about the 3 step and so on. there is a tach wire in the PSI wiring harness, so do I just unplug the MSD 6al and put the new tach wire in its place and all the items will work? Just want to get this sucker up and running.
I can't wait for race season, this has got to be the year.

ytnova

Re: LQ9 Engine Swap with Factory EFI and MSD Three Step

#2 Post by ytnova » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:00 pm

No. You might check with you who made your harness, but this should be a tach OUT wire only. Another words, that lead would be a out signal for a aftermarket tach . If you want a two step, a three step or any sort of a timing retard, you will have to run/wire in a msd 6010, msd 6012 or even the new Daytona sensors style box. I know lingenfelter was making some plug and play two step boxes as well, but I am unsure if they would be compatible with your wiring harness. Your other, more expensive option would be to convert it over to a distributor and use all of your current set up, but that also requires a new front cover and a SBF style distributor but you loose computer control of your timing.
I am not really sure what the question is, but I am pretty sure the answer is Big Block.

Ls7camaro

Re: LQ9 Engine Swap with Factory EFI and MSD Three Step

#3 Post by Ls7camaro » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:12 am

I will look. It's a PSI harness, looks good. There is a tach output. So I may just need to hook that in. Is there a way to test it then?

Thank you

LQ9 with a .600 lift can, headers, factory truck intake with a powerglide, Abruzzi 3500 to 4000 stall and 4.88 9". Can't wait to get it running.
I can't wait for race season, this has got to be the year.