MSD Programmable 7

General Gauges, Wiring, Ignition..

Moderator: John_Heard

Craig W.

MSD Programmable 7

#1 Post by Craig W. » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:40 pm

Anyone had any luck getting your laptop to communicate with your MSD programmable 7? Is a null modem cable necessary if using a serial port? I tried a normal serial cable, but that didn't work. So I removed the #9 pin and that didn't help anything either.

I used the serial port for programming other things, so I know the port works. I've even disabled everything else that uses that port but nothing helps.

Gotta get this thing talking before Friday.

Thanks.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:53 am

I'm almost certain that the DB9 cable I have been using was a serial modem cable. 9 pin on both ends. I did not remove any pins. I assume you've already tried selecting different ports in the MSD Software and it doesn't want to detect any of them. I vaguely remember having to restart the MSD Software after changing the port setting ... might have had to reboot the computer too, I know it was sometimes a pain to get the old laptop (Win98) to talk to the MSD Via the serial cable.

It's a lot better once I got the USB-Serial adapter on Win XP laptop, it finds it right away now. If you've got a USB port I certainly suggest getting the serial to usb adapter and trying that, I think you'll find it a lot easier to use. Not sure if you got my other email from a few days ago or not, but the USB adapter I use is a Belden F5U103. I also know that this one works http://www.racingconverters.com/usb-serial-adapter.html for the MSD box.

Craig W.

#3 Post by Craig W. » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:13 pm

Thanks for the info John. I've tried pretty much everything, so I guess I'll either invest $50 in a usb/serial adapter or $80 in MSD programmer. Might just do the programmer.

Whatever I do, I have to do it quick so that I can get it ready to run next weekend.

Did you see my e-mail about what I found while flowing my plate?
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts

John_Heard
Site Admin

#4 Post by John_Heard » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:45 pm

I don't think I saw the email about the plate? Can't remember seeing it anyway, send it again.

Craig W.

#5 Post by Craig W. » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:18 pm

Got it talking tonight thanks to a $25 usb/serial adapter from Wal-Mart. Just waiting on my HVC coil now. Hopefully it'll get here tomorrow.
Craig Watson
2QuickNovas Racing
5.23@131

Sponsors:
AEM Electronics
Carnivore Performance
Rapp Racing
VFN Fiberglass
Fast Shafts