5/8 wheel studs

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

sverbus

5/8 wheel studs

#1 Post by sverbus » Thu May 31, 2007 9:16 am

I have Mark Williams Axles with 5/8 wheel studs and last night I was going to take the wheels off to check the brake shoes and when i attempted to take the lugs off the whole damn wheel stud backed outta the axle. The thin lock washer that holds on the back side of the axle to the stud came off on all 5 lugs...

I didn't think it was possible to over tighten them, they are at 100flbs with my Craftsman Torque wrench...but breaking them lose caused all 5 to come outta the wheel....

What can I do to fix this? very odd...and now I can't get the actual lug off of the damn stud...sure would help if I had a good vise...always something with this damn car!

Thanks fellas...

Scott
'70 Nova
434 small block
Best so far of 10.51 @ 131mph with a best so far 60' /1.46

Big mota

#2 Post by Big mota » Thu May 31, 2007 10:39 am

Scott,
I've got MW 35 spline axles, 5/8" thread in studs that have Nylock nuts on the back side. The Lug nut torque is 85 lb ft. with moly lube per MW tech line. You might want to check with them to find out how to handle your situation. Call: Jason @ 800-525-1963 Ext. 20
Good luck!
Tom

sverbus

#3 Post by sverbus » Thu May 31, 2007 2:33 pm

I talked with Jason at Mark Williams and got some info. What probably happened is that the shop I ordered the axles through that installed the studs didnt torque them down properly and I wasn't told to use anti-sieze on the threads. Plus, the studs are overly long and we have an extra spacer on them so the lug nut might have bottomed out on the threads and started to run into the shoulder of the stud.

Then when I tried to back the lug off, the small lock nut on the back side holding the stud in didn't hold and came loose. Jason suggested that since I still can't get the lugs off of the studs to just double nut them, and start grunting to try and break them loose. Then order the proper spacer needed and go from there so that it doesnt happen again.

So we'll see what happens tonight when I try and break the lugs loose :)

thanks for the info,

Scott
'70 Nova
434 small block

Big mota

#4 Post by Big mota » Thu May 31, 2007 9:25 pm

I used 242 blue Loc-tite on the threads going into the axle flanges and anti-sieze on the lugnuts. That keeps the studs from backing out when I remove my wheels.
Hope everything works out for you!
Tom

sverbus

#5 Post by sverbus » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:29 am

I went back to the race shop that I had bought the axles through and asked them to install the studs properly for me and now everything is good to go. Just chalk it up as another learning experience.
'70 Nova
434 small block