trans governors

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

JohnDougherty

trans governors

#1 Post by JohnDougherty » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:22 pm

IS it worth the time to set up a trans governor and let the trans upshift on its own? Is this method consistent at all?
Thanks

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:42 am

You mean consistant for like bracket racing? It must not be becuase I don't think many do it that way except maybe in all stock cars.

Maybe Roger will comment on this, I know he spent a lot of time working on the automatic shift points in his 55 car to get it to shift auto where he wanted it to.

MOKAN RACER

Setting up your shift points(rpm -specific)

#3 Post by MOKAN RACER » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:48 am

Beyond wrote:You mean consistant for like bracket racing? It must not be becuase I don't think many do it that way except maybe in all stock cars.

Maybe Roger will comment on this, I know he spent a lot of time working on the automatic shift points in his 55 car to get it to shift auto where he wanted it to.
HI (Its a trial an error operation.) I,m familuar with GM turbo,s. I had a Magazine article that gave me some basic ideas of starting points. I ordered the kit from Sumitt for the turbo 400. It consists of springs and weights. Fairly simple for GM turbos. I wanted the tranny to stay in each gear at a higher RPM prior to shifting. Wanted to be able to simply put it in drive and nail it,let it do the work. I wanted the 2nd to 3rd shift to occur at approx 6000 rpm for the street,as for race your manually shifting any way. Took about 3 trys to get it where I wanted it. Basicly that was what the article said as well. The instruction sheet that comes with the kit is self explanatory. I used the intermediate weights provided,than concentrated on the spring assortment to fine tune the rpm shift points. Its difficult to explain further,but is an easy task,once you have purchased the kit,etc. Roger

JohnDougherty

#4 Post by JohnDougherty » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:19 am

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of keeping the factory column shifter and let the trans shift on its own.

MOKANRACER

Tranny to shift on its own.

#5 Post by MOKANRACER » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:19 am

JohnDougherty wrote:Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of keeping the factory column shifter and let the trans shift on its own.
Well the shift kit for the modulator is the way to go. When I had the Neal Chance tranny built for my 55 truck,I had them set it up for 6000 as well.As it was a column shift too. The thing that you have to do to shift earlier once the Modulator has been recailibrated is mearly let off the gas after accelerating and it will go ahead and drop to next gear.