daytona pinion support question

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

justinhip

daytona pinion support question

#1 Post by justinhip » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:34 am

When using a daytona style pinion support, is it a requirement to ditch the crush collar and go with solid spacers? Also, is there a special yoke to use? I need a new yoke and was going to buy a 3150 yoke but again, I don't know if I need anything special. I will be using a standard 28 spline pinion.

Thanks

Coonass On Gas

pinion support

#2 Post by Coonass On Gas » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:49 pm

I believe everything you use is the same. I run a daytona pinion support and have a basic3150 yolk Now I didn't put it all together so I am not
exactly sure on the crush collar but you can run a normal yolk.
Treat Every day as it were your last.

WWW.COONASSONGAS.COM

77 corvette backhalf
weight 2950 w/o driver
482 735hp na 300shot out of the hole
1/8 th mile racing 5.77 121mph 1.29 60ft

moeraces

CRUSH COLLAR/VS SOLID SPACER

#3 Post by moeraces » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:39 pm

I ASSEMBLE EVERYTHING AND GET THE PROPER CRUSH , WITH PROPER ROTATING INCH LB TORQUE ON PINION , THEN DISASSEMBLE EVERYTHING ,AND GRIND OR MACHINE IN THE LATHE, THE SOLID PINION SPACER , TO THE SAME OR MAYBE .002 LESS OF THE THICKHNESS OF THE SLEEVE I JUST CRUSHED ,AS SOMETIMES THE CRUSH SLEEVE WILL EXPAND BACK A COUPLA THOUSANTHS OR SO WHEN YOU UNLOAD THE PINION NUT,,,,,I'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM SINCE I STARTED DOING THIS , GEAR WEAR IS ALOT LESS TOO WITH THE SOLID SPACER, LOT LESS CHANCE OF PINION NUT LOOSENING UP OR IN ACTUALITY CRUSH COLLAR CHANGING AND MAKING YOU THINK THE NUT HAS GOTTEN LOOSE.NOT REALLY A PROBLEM THOUGH UNLESS YOURE MAKING REALLY BIG HUGE POWER OR SHOCKING THE DIFF HARDR WITH BIG HITS OF HP, NITROUS ; BOOST,,,,,,,,,,ECT