TH400 dual feeding

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

chevyv8_power

TH400 dual feeding

#1 Post by chevyv8_power » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:26 pm

I have been reading a lot on the forums about dual feeding the direct clutch but am still not sure how to do it since there seems to be different ways of doing it. Plus I don't have a tranny to take apart and look at right now or a fluid diagram to look at. I have a TH400 with a B&M transpak(shift kit) and want to dual feed the direct clutch.

Is it as simple as plugging the feed to the accumulator in the valve body?

I did not remove any seals in the clutch or a pump sealing ring. The kit modified the accumulator if I remember right, I think replaced it with a different one and blocked a hole on the outside of the valve body. Also a hole was drilled larger on the separator plate but I think that was for 1-2 shift. I am trying to firm up the 2-3 shift.

demented

#2 Post by demented » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:49 am

Most shift kits(like your B-M transpak ) already do it for you with the different separator plate they supply. Pulling the center seal out of the direct drum or pulling the sealing ring off is another way of doing it. For the most part its all in the shift kit. Plugging the feed on the accumulator will firm up the shift but does nothing to help feed the direct drum except for quicker oil apply(firmer shift) If you run a manual valve body, that will give you even more pressure and fluid to the direct drum. After running an automatic valve body, the best thing that I ever did was to put a manual valve body in. The manual valve body keeps your pressures up in every gear usually around 200 psi,sometimes higher depending on the valve body. You can't get the consistant pressures up on an automatically controlled valve body.
Quit talkin...Lets Race!!!

Fred Kowalik
Seriously Demented Racing

chevyv8_power

#3 Post by chevyv8_power » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:45 pm

Thanks for the info. Maybe I will just firm up the shift for now and seriously think of getting a manual valve body.

jmarkaudio

#4 Post by jmarkaudio » Sat May 03, 2008 4:52 pm

Removing the center seal works, but the appropriate passage has to be plugged to prevent backfeeding the reverse circuit. Some of the shift kits do this with the plate, you transpack should have taken care of it. The transpacks used to come with different levels of shift firmness, you shouldn't have any issue making a 400 hit hard enough. If you can't get it firm you may have a pressure leak elsewhere.
Mark Whitener

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.