To loosen or tighter

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

68 Camaro

To loosen or tighter

#1 Post by 68 Camaro » Mon May 19, 2008 7:53 pm

I hope that I'm not asking a stupid question, but how do you loosen or tighten a converter? I see it all the time, I have an 8" converter that’s tight or you need to have a looser converter. While I think that I have a pretty good grasp of the loose vs. tight, how do you loosen the one that you have? Is there some sort of adjusting screw in there, or do you have to have it cut open and adjustments made? ht:
I have a 10” 3500RPM stall torque converter, but might like to loosen it so the stall is closer to 4000RPM. Sorry I don’t remember the manufacturer of the converter, but it was the unit recommended by guy that built my TH350.
Thanks for the info/help.
John
Doing more with less

John_Heard
Site Admin

#2 Post by John_Heard » Mon May 19, 2008 8:57 pm

Most converters have to be sent in to a converter shop to be cut apart to make changes in the stall speed (tighter or looser). If you have a bolt together converter, you can make changes yourself but those are typically high dollar pieces and you would know if you had one.

Here's what the parts are on the inside, if you've never seen an exploded view. http://www.racingconverters.com/assembl ... tions.html The converter company will make changes to the internal parts to adjust the stall speed.

jmarkaudio

#3 Post by jmarkaudio » Mon May 19, 2008 9:02 pm

Get out your hacksaw and welder... :roll:
Converter is cut open on a large lathe. Fin angles can be bent, different stator with different angles and sometimes they cut the stator fins to gain as well. The problem with what you want to do is that it may take replacing the stator as well as trying to bend fins that are brazed in place. The cost may going to be close to the cost of a new one. Adding 500 RPM may not be an issue, find out what brand, get a model # and call the original converter manufacturer. I would avoid a cut stator in your app if possible.
Mark Whitener

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

68 Camaro

Thanks for the info

#4 Post by 68 Camaro » Tue May 20, 2008 1:48 pm

Thanks for the info

John
Doing more with less