High volume fuel systems on the street

Everything from the motor to the wheels

Moderator: John_Heard

wikd69

High volume fuel systems on the street

#1 Post by wikd69 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:06 am

Hi all,

Ok, so I installed my new fuel system and took the hotrod out for a spin. Got back to the shop and could barely touch the fuel pump motor. It was *hot*. I need some advice from folks who have already been down this path. :(

To start with, I installed a high volume fuel pump to ensure I get enough fuel for the trips down the track. However, I'll spend most of my time cruising around the valley and won't need all the volume. My hope was that by installing a return line (see below) I could shunt the extra volume back to the cell and thereby handle the excess flow. I'm thinking I may have to do something different. I don't want to smoke this new fuel pump if I can avoid it.

Below is the diagram for the new system. AN -10 for the main feed, -8 for the local return, -6 for the carb feeds (or will be as soon as I get the rest of my AN fittings in). I installed the local AN -8 return directly from pump back to the cell at the suggestion of the folks at Aerospace. I had intended to do a full loop system using a return-style regulator up front but was told this local return scheme was how the pump was designed to operate.

Here is the diagram for the system.

And here's an shot of the install in the back....

In researching this problem I found references to the Aeromotive 16302 Electric Fuel Pump Controller (there are other brands and models but I'm told this is the best of the lot). This unit controls the speed of the pump based on user-selectable RPM states. When you're just cruising around, the pump runs slow, when you're at WOT, it runs at full speed, etc. There is also a manual override to run at full speed when desired. The Aeromotive unit will help control volume, which in turn should reduce loads on the pump motor, which should help it run cooler.

Ok after having said all this, what experiences have others had with this situation and/or with the Aeromotive Controller unit ? I need to do something to make this combination usable on both the street and strip. :scratch:

Any ideas or info would be much appreciated :-)

Harry
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm

dadnova

Re: High volume fuel systems on the street

#2 Post by dadnova » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:39 pm

Have you looked into the Race Pump? Its manual and puts out 450ga. an hour, the faster the engine goes the more it pumps, fuel keeps it cool and you can rebuild it if ever needed for $10.
My friend put one on his car as well as he was running twin electric pumps and one broke again, we love the Race Pumps. No noise, you don't have to turn it on, its just simple and works great, we both are running well over 1200HP with no issues.
Gotta plan, spend it before she can, and go as fast as you can.

silvanova

#3 Post by silvanova » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:22 pm

I had an aeromotive that i ran on the street with no problems. was the street strip part #11203. I run the magnafuel 500 now with no problems on the street and it feeds a 1050hp 598.
5.004 @142.6

wikd69

#4 Post by wikd69 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:23 am

dadnova wrote:Have you looked into the Race Pump? Its manual and puts out 450ga. an hour, the faster the engine goes the more it pumps, fuel keeps it cool and you can rebuild it if ever needed for $10.
My friend put one on his car as well as he was running twin electric pumps and one broke again, we love the Race Pumps. No noise, you don't have to turn it on, its just simple and works great, we both are running well over 1200HP with no issues.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, I had looked at mechanical prior to this but decided I'd rather have an external electric. I'm not convinced I would not experience a fuel starvation issue under hard acceleration at WOT / launch - pullling fuel forward from the rear cell, relying on low pressure created by the pump intake at the engine to 'pull' fuel uphill. With a rear fuel pump, I'm pushing with positive displacement, rather than relying on a low pressure 'pull'. I'm extremely paranoid about starving this blower motor at speed. Mama only lets me build one new motor per decade <g>

<shrug> this is probably more a comfort thing than anything else :mrgreen:

My OCD keeps me poor and always sweating the small stuff.
1969 ProStreet Camaro RS Best 9.75@139 1.46 60'
Blown 427 BBC, TH400 w/Brake, Back-Half Ladderbar
Narrowed 12-Bolt, 4.10 Gears, Spool, Moser 33 Spline

http://www.marsh-racing.com/harrys_camaro-1.htm